• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At this rate, we will need a Pink Stuff appreciation thread

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      At this rate, we will need a Pink Stuff appreciation thread
      Maybe it's like grey goo and will end up consuming all matter in the universe

Comment

Power cut earlier

It only lasted long enough for me to notice the laptop screen had dimmed, observe that the little green LED on the power adapter had gone out, check my phone (plugged in next to me) and confirm that it also wasn't charging, try a light, try the bedroom light, then go through to the kitchen to try that light - which came on, and just then I heard the chime of the iMac powering back up

No further outages since, so I've taken a chance by putting the washing machine on; cashmere jumpers, hand wash cycle.

Comment

The guy in the truck staring at the screen has his light on.

I had a good look at him earlier and he actually looks like a nerd. I suppose you have to be to operate a robot...
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            The guy in the truck staring at the screen has his light on.

I had a good look at him earlier and he actually looks like a nerd. I suppose you have to be to operate a robot...
            "Who shall we send on the robot operator training course?"

"Dave looks like a nerd, he should be good at it."

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              "Who shall we send on the robot operator training course?"

"Dave looks like a nerd, he should be good at it."
              If it wasn't for social distancing I would be over there with some children to ask what he was doing.

Best careers advice is actually meeting people who do random jobs you have never heard off. Now how did I end up in IT....

Comment

Jumpers now drying

Having a bag of cheese & onion crisps to celebrate

Comment

If it wasn't for social distancing I would be over there with some children to ask what he was doing.

Best careers advice is actually meeting people who do random jobs you have never heard off. Now how did I end up in IT....
                  I ended up in IT because it was less boring than Accounts

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    I ended up in IT because it was less boring than Accounts
                    I think I met too many people in IT on the piss and they were normal. The only ones I met in offices I temped in where the sys admins and desktop support. The sys admins were interesting to talk to as they explained how they spied on people. Oddly I didn't go down that route...

Comment

No further outages since, so I've taken a chance by putting the washing machine on; cashmere jumpers, hand wash cycle.
                      How long is the cashmere setting?

Jumpers now drying
                      That'll take a while.

Putting stuff in the tumble drier on "wool" takes about 5 minutes & it comes back out as wet as when it went in.

I think I met too many people in IT on the piss and they were normal. The only ones I met in offices I temped in where the sys admins and desktop support. The sys admins were interesting to talk to as they explained how they spied on people. Oddly I didn't go down that route...
                      Some of the systems guys at Ye Olde Sloughe of Desponde were distinctly odd, but that's me as the kettle calling the pot black.

Or something.

Apparently I tended to frighten them.

I think that threatening to chuck stuff in the dock tended to give them pause.

I've never worked in IT.
                      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 28 January 2021, 17:43.
                      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X