• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

hyper D and Lucifer Box's food thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ~Craig~
    Very nice but also very expensive >£250.
    Call yourself a contractor?! What's half a day's fees in return for a lifetime of truly superb coffee?! It's the only coffee machine you will need, ever again. To be fair, my sister-in-law bought me mine, but if you want the best, you need to get the bucks out.

Alternatively, get yerself over to eBay and snap up a bargain: La Pavoni Europiccola Espresso and Cappuccino maker

Comment

I've got a Krups top of the range and it's fine. Just make sure it has a high Bar.

On the subject of food, just come back from Rome, coffee to die for and ate like an emperor. I just love spaghetti vongole.
      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
        Call yourself a contractor?! What's half a day's fees in return for a lifetime of truly superb coffee?! It's the only coffee machine you will need, ever again. To be fair, my sister-in-law bought me mine, but if you want the best, you need to get the bucks out.
        Well actually i don't, because i'm not i'm still yet to make the leap so at the moment i reside in under-paid permidom.

Comment

Was in France 2 weeks ago and thought what I've always thought. Why do tomatoes taste of tomatoes in France and steaks taste of steaks? Why does any food taste much better? Is it something in the soil?
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
            Was in France 2 weeks ago and thought what I've always thought. Why do tomatoes taste of tomatoes in France and steaks taste of steaks? Why does any food taste much better? Is it something in the soil?
            I think it's just the case that the general attitude in France is still very much "does it taste good?" rather than "how cheap is it?". In the UK the most important thing to the general buyer is the price, closely followed by what it looks like. What it tastes like just doesn't enter into the reckoning. In France/Italy/Spain etc it is the quality. If you tried selling the standard UK supermarket tomato (normally from Holland) in France no one would buy them because they taste like tulip and you wouldn't persuade them otherwise with the argument that that doesn't matter because they're cheap and all look perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
              It's not to do with the soil, per se - it's that as Brits, where happy to eat complete and utter bollox if it's quick/cheap - preferably both. The French have significantly different standards. At Chez EO, my plan B, we use traditionally reared, local meat, and as much other local produce as is humanly possible - the tomatoes and steaks do indeed taste as they should.

We have no-one to blame but ourselves for the poor quality food which is sold here.

I shall get down off my soap box before I fall...
              The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

I think it's just the case that the general attitude in France is still very much "does it taste good?" rather than "how cheap is it?". In the UK the most important thing to the general buyer is the price, closely followed by what it looks like. What it tastes like just doesn't enter into the reckoning. In France/Italy/Spain etc it is the quality. If you tried selling the standard UK supermarket tomato (normally from Holland) in France no one would buy them because they taste like tulip and you wouldn't persuade them otherwise with the argument that that doesn't matter because they're cheap and all look perfect.
                Beat me to it, you barsteward.
                The squint, the cocked eye and clenched first are the cornerstones of all Merseyside communication from birth to grave

Comment

Originally posted by ~Craig~
                  Well actually i don't, because i'm not i'm still yet to make the leap so at the moment i reside in under-paid permidom.
                  In which case I suggest you join the queue at your local Salvation Army chapel. I hear their coffee isn't too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by EqualOpportunities
                    Beat me to it, you barsteward.
                    Great minds think alike, EO.

All the top quality food is there and you can get steaks and tomatoes just as good here, just not from a supermarket as it's not the market they're aiming at (in the main).

Like EO I buy all my meat direct from the farms where I know the quality is tip top, the animals humanely reared, and so on. Same with vegetables, buy direct from the grower and cut the rapacious supermarkets out of the chain.

The cost is only a little more (in some cases when the produce is in season, it's less because the whatever it is isn't being flown to Poland to be washed and bagged) but the taste is a lot more. You pays your money and you takes your choices.

As with almost everything:
                    Q. Why is this so cheap?
                    A. Because it's tulipe.

Comment

In which case I suggest you join the queue at your local Salvation Army chapel. I hear their coffee isn't too bad.
                      Yes but I am a mere nipper compared to ye olde Lucifer

Comment

Working...
                      X