• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

hyper D and Lucifer Box's food thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ~Craig~
    Yes but I am a mere nipper compared to ye olde Lucifer
    Millenia of stoking the eternal fires does wonders for your appetite.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
      I've got one of these, the La Pavoni Europiccola...

Makes a cracking cup of espresso and has a good steam attachment as well, but you have to treat it like a beautiful woman, "not a machine for the dilettante" as one review I read said.
      I've just submitted my first invoice as a contractor and I've been wondering how to celebrate
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
        I've just submitted my first invoice as a contractor and I've been wondering how to celebrate
        Congratulations, DaveB. Is your Ltd going to buy it as "office equipment" for the staff?

Comment

Congratulations, DaveB. Is your Ltd going to buy it as "office equipment" for the staff?

Heh, nice thought. I'm planning on kitting out the back room as an office anyway. Might have to include that on the list of essential equipment

Comment

hyperD Top Tip #2: You can't beat a good spit roast...

Try clicking instead:
            http://www.worth1000.com/entries/142...2583kPro_w.jpg
            Last edited by hyperD; 2 February 2006, 17:34.
            If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Heh, nice thought. I'm planning on kitting out the back room as an office anyway. Might have to include that on the list of essential equipment
              Nothing wrong with using company funds to buy a coffee machine for the office, as long as it's only used for staff while working.

Technically, you should declare the coffee you get to drink for free as a BIK on your tax return. The IR (as it was then) made some noise about this four or five years ago when it proposed a scheme whereby all office type workers should be required to declare a minimum BIK value (I think £250 was mooted) to represent free coffee, pilfered stationery supplies, etc. Seriously.

Comment

Nothing wrong with using company funds to buy a coffee machine for the office, as long as it's only used for staff while working.

Technically, you should declare the coffee you get to drink for free as a BIK on your tax return. The IR (as it was then) made some noise about this four or five years ago when it proposed a scheme whereby all office type workers should be required to declare a minimum BIK value (I think £250 was mooted) to represent free coffee, pilfered stationery supplies, etc. Seriously.

Would that include coffee etc provided by the client?
                My current client provides free tea and coffee to everyone regardless of contract or permie status.....

Comment

Would that include coffee etc provided by the client?
                  My current client provides free tea and coffee to everyone regardless of contract or permie status.....
                  Mmm, maybe the client should run free coffees for contractors through its books as entertainment expenses.

Comment

Originally posted by Fortune Green
                    Stoke the fire under one of these......

Isn't that Reg Toomer from "Boys from the Bush"?

Originally posted by wobbegong
                    Aha! "duck 'n' chips", so it was you!
                    SHUUUUT UPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Last edited by bangface; 3 February 2006, 23:43.

Comment

Lucifer's Top Recipe For This Evening

Thought I'd share the Box's dinner this evening with you as it was excellent and it's highly recommended you try this one for yourself. Cheap too. Anyway, here we go, it's rabbit braised in vinegar, a lovely recipe for a cold winter's evening.

Take your rabbit and cut it up into portions (4 legs and the saddle). Place the rabbit portions in a large bowl and cover with a mixture of cold water and white wine vinegar (about 10% vinegar should do it). Leave to soak for about 30 minutes then drain.

In the meantime chop a sprig of sage, sprig of rosemary and a couple of cloves of garlic. Melt 25g of butter in a large pan with three tablespoons of olive oil (not extra virgin) then lightly stir-fry the garlic, rosemary and sage for a couple of minutes, seasoning with pepper. Add the rabbit portions and, turning them regularly, cook until browned all over.

Mix together 175ml of white wine vinegar with three tablespoons of water and pour into the pan. Season with salt then put the lid on and simmer gently for about 50 minutes. Check your seasoning and adjust if necessary, then toss in a large handful of stoned green olives (not the sort stuffed with pimentos - too sweet for this recipe) - about 100g - and a small handful of drained and rinsed capers - about 50g. Put the lid back on, simmer for another 10 minutes and then you're ready to rock 'n' roll.

For accompaniments, I kept it simple and rustic. A roasting tin of diced mixed potato, parsnip and beetroot, with onion and garlic, drizzled with olive oil and roasted in the oven with a couple of bayleaves for about 45 minutes, and a loaf of home made spelt bread (bread made using spelt flour, rather than wheat flour, with honey and olive oil - it's the sort of bread the Romans used to make).

Easy peasy and good eatings.

Comment

Working...
                      X