• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jog on mate ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jog on mate ...

... only to no use!

BBC News - Too much jogging 'as bad as no exercise at all'

At least I'll die healthy.

But, really, even that article admits:

Those who jogged at a steady pace for less than two and a half hours a week were least likely to die in this time.
    It seems to indicate pushing past 7mph and 2.5hrs A week is 'bad'*, but I'm willing to bet the vast majority of recreational joggers fall below that.

*I've yet to see the actual mortality stats, but I'm going to presume they're as miniscule as ever but the press just can't resist a headline.

Comment

I have been diagnosed with an enlarged left ventricle from running too much, that could be up to 15 hours a week.

Personally the study sounds like a bag of tulipe, although I can actually find it referenced anywhere to give it a read.

1000 people is not even remotely enough to do a study that can make such claims, the study seems to have been done entirely by questionnaire rather than continually medicals for those involved.

And the British heart foundation claim that this is down to restructuring of the heart and arteries where as all I can see the study claims that people are just more likely to die, of anything presumably.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
        I have been diagnosed with an enlarged left ventricle from running too much, that could be up to 15 hours a week.

Personally the study sounds like a bag of tulipe, although I can actually find it referenced anywhere to give it a read.

1000 people is not even remotely enough to do a study that can make such claims, the study seems to have been done entirely by questionnaire rather than continually medicals for those involved.

And the British heart foundation claim that this is down to restructuring of the heart and arteries where as all I can see the study claims that people are just more likely to die, of anything presumably.
        Like being run over on a run, heart attack of the sedentary first timer.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

That would be this one I presume: http://content.onlinejacc.org/articl...icleID=2108914

1,098 healthy joggers and 3,950 healthy nonjoggers
          Conclusions The findings suggest a U-shaped association between all-cause mortality and dose of jogging as calibrated by pace, quantity, and frequency of jogging. Light and moderate joggers have lower mortality than sedentary nonjoggers, whereas strenuous joggers have a mortality rate not statistically different from that of the sedentary group.
          Just the press...don't worry.
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

What about cycling? Are you still as healthy as a non-jogger? Or does the likelyhood of being run over make up for it?
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              What about cycling? Are you still as healthy as a non-jogger? Or does the likelyhood of being run over make up for it?
              Any and every exercise is harmful to you lad!

I haven't heard of a single case of death while watching the Telly with a pint of John smiths

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                Any and every exercise is harmful to you lad!

I haven't heard of a single case of death while watching the Telly with a pint of John smiths
                As was in the news yesterday everyone now an even chance of getting Cancer thanks to people living longer. So your best bet for avoiding cancer is a lifetime of sloth and burgers because then you'll die young.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

As was in the news yesterday everyone now an even chance of getting Cancer thanks to people living longer.
                  Yes, the news was puked out by Beeb like a fact. Half of us will get cancer, apparently!

So your best bet for avoiding cancer is a lifetime of sloth and burgers because then you'll die young.
                  Scotch and Caviar lad! We are contractors!

Comment

Working...
                  X