• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nooooooo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nooooooo

Media Center tv remote batteries have just died...

now that's just screwed up my days plan of sitting happily with the Chef Invoicing machine in full swing while watching crap saturday tv..

<chef trudges off to tesco metro for more batteries>

and maybe a bottle or 2 of becks
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Tesco's? Surely not!

Send your man down to Fortnums for heavens sake. Like any real contractor.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Must be the day for it...

After a wine spillage incident last night my TV box remote control has died and so I am reduced to a choice of four channels with a very fuzzy picture.

I thought that I had lost the internet as well for a while.... a weekend without TV and internet was looking pretty grim since I am very sad and don't do anything else.

Comment

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/09...ard_batteries/
        Vieze Oude Man

Comment

" I am very sad and don't do anything else." - you are Marillionfan and I claim my crisp £5.

Oh bugger.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
            " I am very sad and don't do anything else." - you are Marillionfan and I claim my crisp £5.

Oh bugger.
            MarillionFan - you and me both know that we are not the same person. There aren't too many regulars on here today so your irony might be lost.

I am still watching this bulletin board on a Saturday afternoon so I think that I am getting sadder than ever. The new remote control cannot arrive quick enough....
            Last edited by Gonzo; 7 October 2006, 14:36. Reason: Didn't say all that I meant to

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              In this circumstance, remove the batteries, wash under hot water, and dry in an oven set to about 60 to 70C for 12 hours or so.

Might work & if it does, it's cheaper than a new controller.

Removing the batteries is essential because it stops electrolytic corrosion, and the hot water gets the sugars & stuff out.

Liability is limited to the amount you paid for this advice: i.e. nothing.
              OK I will give that a try. I have nothing to lose other than the £1.00 of electricty that it will cost. The supplier is sending a new remote for free (I didn't admit that the problem might be my fault), but that is a long time to go without TV.

I will let everyone know tomorrow.
              Last edited by Gonzo; 7 October 2006, 16:15. Reason: Bad grammar

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Please bear in mind that if it's had wine plus batteries in it for 12 hours or so it may well be screwed by now...

And make sure it's dry inside before putting the batteries back...
                I'm not expecting it to work again but anything to provide some distraction today is most welcome

Comment

Having said all that...

Mrs Gonzo likes to watch **** on TV on a Saturday night like Ant & Dec and Stars in Their Pop Idol, but today she has accepted that the service is down so I am spared having to sit through them....

Comment

Does Mrs Gonzo look like you?

Comment

Working...
                    X