• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Shirts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shirts

Where do you get decent shirts at a decent price?

I generally go with TM Lewin 4 for £90 but wondering if there is someone better to go. Obviously you can get shirts much cheaper but I do like getting decent quality

VC

To me its all about the fabric.

If you want them to last then Paul Smith, Italian made, not cheap, but quality lasts.
    Just got rid of some favorites, worn weekly, worn out, after 8 years wear

This lot make some good shirts, also, but depends on how racy you like to be at work.

Patterned Shirts | Simon Carter
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by VillageContractor View Post
      Where do you get decent shirts at a decent price?

I generally go with TM Lewin 4 for £90 but wondering if there is someone better to go. Obviously you can get shirts much cheaper but I do like getting decent quality

VC
      Charles Tyrwhitt do a similar offer; always washed well for me. Gant seem to be good quality too, from the couple that I've had but have paid a bit more for.

Charles Tyrwhitt for Men's Shirts, Suits, Ties, Shoes & Accessories From Jermyn Street, London

Can't go wrong with a Hugo Boss shirt either, especially in the sale.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

What about the cuff?

Double-cuff is too fiddly in the morning and doesn't add much in my book (to the wearer, the shirt companies like it though).

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
          What about the cuff?

Double-cuff is too fiddly in the morning and doesn't add much in my book (to the wearer, the shirt companies like it though).
          CT come with a variety of cuff options.

The two Gant shirts I've got have a simple button cuff option, while the Hugo Boss is cufflinks only I think.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

For formal (i.e. weddings, christenings etc.) I like the pin collar/club collar shirts

Claudio Lugli with club collar and holes for collar pin; or
            Luxury Handmade Shirts | Hawkins & Shepherd Pin Collar Shirts London.

For work (i.e. casual) tends to be stuff I've picked up from a charity shop (Tattersall, 100% cotton checks) or I did get a really good one "Mantaray" shirt recently with fantastic stitching and corduroy elbow patches, for £4.

I only ever iron the formal shirts.
            Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
            "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

+1 on Tyrwhitt.

But that's because i am 6'6" and have long arms. They do extra long sleeves.

Good quality cloth and always a french (double) cuff for wearing with a suit. Casual/smart casual/business casual without a jacket then either but if you are rolling them up at any point double cuff with cufflinks are a pain in the sphincter!
              If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur. - Red Adair

Comment

Originally posted by Bluespider View Post
                +1 on Tyrwhitt.

But that's because i am 6'6" and have long arms. They do extra long sleeves.
                My arms are too short , hence the recommendation of the 2 earlier.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I used to wear Thomas Pink shirts, the quality was always good. Then I think they moved all their production to somewhere like Vietnam and the quality collapsed. I'm not paying over £70 for a shirt that is made in a third world sweat shop.

Now I tend to stick to TM Lewin, where you get four shirts for £100 and the quality is very good for the price.

Comment

Mrs pj likes me in a Charles Trywhitt, and ever since I bought a few, Charles emails me once a week offering me a free tie, £15 off etc etc.

I notice from this year's Apprentice that pink is the colour of choice for ambitious young go-getters.
                    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Working...
                    X