• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Making the Leap

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making the Leap

Hi all.

I'm new to the forum and new to contracting. Well, that's not quite right I'm not new to contracting. I've never done it before!

I'm in a permanent contract and feeling a little trapped. I keep making excuses why I can't just hand in my notice. I don't have the money in case things go wrong. I'm not sure the market is right. I'm learning too much on this project.

Are these feelings common when moving from permanent to contracts? Any advice or tips?

Thanks in advance.

Nick

Not really. Most people have a reason to go. You've made some pretty good reasons to stay so no I'd say most people don't feel like you.

Don't wanna be rude and I'm making an assumption here but if you are still learning you aren't ready for contracting. You've got to be better than the next guy and if you aren't its going to be hard work at every new gig.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Go for it. You'll get a lot of negativity on this forum (mostly justified) but if you're financially able to handle it going wrong (as in don't ruin yourself financially), then do it. Life's too short to wait. Many will say wait until you're more prepared but I say bollox, just do it*.

*just don't take a slice of my lucrative pie

Comment

Originally posted by nickbennett View Post
        Hi all.

I'm in a permanent contract and feeling a little trapped. I keep making excuses why I can't just hand in my notice. I don't have the money in case things go wrong. I'm not sure the market is right. I'm learning too much on this project.

Thanks in advance.

Nick
        Think you pretty much answered your own question as to whether you are ready to take the leap or not.
        It would be interesting to run a survey on CUK to find out how many people chose to contract as a career choice or fell into it, but I'm going to make a big fat massive guess that the majority fell into it, probably because I'm one of them. But even then, to continue with this lifestyle means you are a risk taker. You might be so good or in such a high demand field that you are never out of work, or you might be on the bench for months waiting for the next gig. Nothing that you have said makes me think you are a risk taker. Everything you have said makes me think that you are a bit unhappy with the 9-5 for whatever reason, and you'll just have to figure out what that reason is. I don't think becoming a contractor is going to help whatever existential problems you have.
        Last edited by Elliegirl; 14 December 2015, 21:26.

Comment

Find a new permanent job.

Contracting throws up a whole heap of responsibilities that unless you have researched them and asked random contractors you've met mostly stupid questions, you won't be aware of.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            Find a new permanent job.

Contracting throws up a whole heap of responsibilities that unless you have researched them and asked random contractors you've met mostly stupid questions, you won't be aware of.
            This.

Sounds to me the OP doesnt have the mindset to contract.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
              Go for it. You'll get a lot of negativity on this forum (mostly justified) but if you're financially able to handle it going wrong (as in don't ruin yourself financially), then do it. Life's too short to wait. Many will say wait until you're more prepared but I say bollox, just do it*.

*just don't take a slice of my lucrative pie
              You also get a lot of dumb advice.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                You also get a lot of dumb advice.
                With regard to contracting, you come across as obsessively risk averse. The OP wouldn't be posting their thread if they didn't think they could handle contracting. If they're on the fence about jumping, then why not encourage it? It's a risky and tricky business but it's not that difficult. Are you sure you can handle the stress of contracting? You seem to go to great lengths to have every detail analysed and thought through. Contracting isn't rocket science. Let the OP go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by heyya99 View Post
                  With regard to contracting, you come across as obsessively risk averse. The OP wouldn't be posting their thread if they didn't think they could handle contracting.
                  That's a hell of an assumption.
                  If they're on the fence about jumping, then why not encourage it?
                  Because it's not the right advice for every case. You want to see some of the people at permie sites that come up to me and say they are on the fence. They are so poorly skilled and prepared it would be a terrible move. I'm certainly not going to encourage it when the OPs post casts doubt.
                  It's a risky and tricky business but it's not that difficult.
                  It is very risky and it is difficult if you are skilled enough and are not prepared. Nothing wrong with hanging off a little to get yourself a few more skills that would turn you from decidedly average to very good
                  Are you sure you can handle the stress of contracting?
                  Eh??
                  You seem to go to great lengths to have every detail analysed and thought through.
                  Yes.. And? Give it a go before posting sometime.
                  Contracting isn't rocket science. Let the OP go for it.
                  He (she) can do what they want but if they are going to post a situation and ask an opinion I'm going to give it to them.

We don't know exactly what but the OP clearly states they are learning on a project. IMO that is clearly not where you want to be if you are going to make the jump and directly compete with people much more experience and skill. Sadly there is no feedback mechanism so those that are no better than an average permie can still get gigs.....for now.
                  Last edited by northernladuk; 14 December 2015, 23:45.

Comment

I tend to think that if you're not casual about it, then you shouldn't do it.
                    Put aside a couple of months mortgage & bills, and then quit and look for a contract.
                    If you don't find one then just get another permie job.
                    If you're worried that you'll struggle to find a replacement permie job, then finding a contract will be much harder than that - so in that case don't waste your 2 months mortgage & bills & keep on learning.

Comment

Working...
                    X