• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Probate Fees

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probate Fees

Just noticed the massive rise in probate fees. Inheritance tax increase anyone?

Here.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Just reading that. B***S!
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Just read the excellent recent biography King John: Treachery, Tyranny and the Road to Magna Carta, by Marc Morris, and flip me I really don't think there's much he could teach this government about tax extortion!
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
        Just noticed the massive rise in probate fees. Inheritance tax increase anyone?

Here.
        Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Just reading that. B***S!
        But really it is only taxing those with plenty of dollar...

the best option is to enjoy the money you have earned and leave enough for the kids...

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          But really it is only taxing those with plenty of dollar...

the best option is to enjoy the money you have earned and leave enough for the kids...
          I seem to remember probate is paid before the distribution (although I could be wrong on that, the solicitor who dealt with the estate was a bit crap, to say the least) so that's a pretty hefty lump to cough up in advance of settlement. £200 or so wasn't an issue, but it'd be £4k now (based on an estate of 500k-1m).
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Blue power! How lovely.
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Remember, it's a "fee" not a tax.
              And National Insurance is a "contribution" not a tax.

The Tories don't put up taxes, that's what Labour do, so if you think these are new taxes, blame Labour.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

That's a bit surprising, ouch.

It is worth noting that your 325k TAX allowance is transferable i.e. a married couple, one dies and leaves it all to their spouse (unlimited tax-free between spouses), then the spouse dies, they have £650k to give before IHT kicks in.

Is it actually a staggered scale or a proper sliding scale? Because that table says at £500k it jumps from £1000 to £4000 which would be annoying if you're on the boundary.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Is it actually a staggered scale or a proper sliding scale? Because that table says at £500k it jumps from £1000 to £4000 which would be annoying if you're on the boundary.
                  I'd be more annoyed at being dead...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    I'd be more annoyed at being dead...
                    You're on your own there, I'm afraid...
                    His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                    X