• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jury Service Insurance- After deferring intial callout

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jury Service Insurance- After deferring intial callout

Hi,
    I'm new here , so please bear with me.
    I started contracting in Jan 2018 and with my luck , I've already been contacted twice for Jury service. Managed to defer on both occasions but trying to see if I can take up a Jury service insurance cover now.

But the 2 companies I tried, QDOS and Larserhowie, both have clauses that won't cover my situation. Does anyone know of any other insurance provider covering my situation i.e. high risk of being called due to being in the deferred list?

Many Thanks :-)

Originally posted by 2019snow View Post
    Hi,
    I'm new here , so please bear with me.
    I started contracting in Jan 2018 and with my luck , I've already been contacted twice for Jury service. Managed to defer on both occasions but trying to see if I can take up a Jury service insurance cover now.

But the 2 companies I tried, QDOS and Larserhowie, both have clauses that won't cover my situation. Does anyone know of any other insurance provider covering my situation i.e. high risk of being called due to being in the deferred list?

Many Thanks :-)

I would doubt it very much - you have deferred it, not been excused it. It would be like taking out life insurance after being told you have six weeks to live.

Comment

Join IPSE...
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Join IPSE...
        But in their site it says..

You just need to have been notified about your jury duty after your IPSE membership begins. You’ll also need to have been a member for over a month
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          Join IPSE...
          Good advice generally for the future, but it will not pay out in the OP's situation. It is the date of the initial summons which determines whether cover will be provided.

Comment

You don't need to take out any jury service insurance, unless you do actually want to do it and get paid whatever the cover amount is. You can asked for a permanent exclusion on the basis that you are self employed (in their eyes) and therefore cannot afford to not be working due to loss of income.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
              You don't need to take out any jury service insurance, unless you do actually want to do it and get paid whatever the cover amount is. You can asked for a permanent exclusion on the basis that you are self employed (in their eyes) and therefore cannot afford to not be working due to loss of income.
              Hi,
              Thanks for all your replies.
              I didn't think there was a way to get out of it permanently - getting a deferral has been hard enough. Here is the note from them.

" They have also advised me to advise you that this is not your first request for excusal having been able to previously excuse you from attending. Any further requests will only be considered by the Clerk of Court on the day of attendance"

Comment

Originally posted by 2019snow
                Thanks- so in my case even IPSE cover will not apply?
                I'd say so.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  I'd say so.
                  Definitely not. From the claim form

"Jury service can be deferred, but it is the date of the initial summons which determines whether cover will be provided"

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    Definitely not. From the claim form

"Jury service can be deferred, but it is the date of the initial summons which determines whether cover will be provided"
                    Indeed, but it's like any kind of protective insurance cover, it's a needless expense until you need it. A £250 membership fee would have repaid itself several times over...
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X