• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SC Clearance- not get to do your own through your Ltd company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SC Clearance- not get to do your own through your Ltd company

Hi All, New to this forum and also fairly new to contracting. I have been advised that is is possible to apply for your own SC Clearance through my Ltd company and was wondering whether someone who has done this already can advise me on how to go about it please? Would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Rekha

Perhaps read the sticky on Security Clearance. Very early on it says something about the clearance goes with the role, not the person. So applying for it yourself is a nonsense and simply won't work.

You can do it but first YourCo will need to be List X approved. Good luck with that one!
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      Perhaps read the sticky on Security Clearance. Very early on it says something about the clearance goes with the role, not the person. So applying for it yourself is a nonsense and simply won't work.

You can do it but first YourCo will need to be List X approved. Good luck with that one!

Thank you for your reply. I totally agree with you and that was also my understanding, however, only that a recruitment agency suggested to do it myself as apparently contractors they have signed up with them have done it this way. With that in mind, the recruiter suggested for me to reach out here on finding tips how to do it.
      Alas, you have confirmed my doubts that it is not possible...
      It’s a complete catch 22, you need to have clearance to be considered for the role yet you can’t apply for one unless you have a role secured...🤔

Comment

Thank you for your reply. I agree with you as this was also my understanding. However, a recruiter suggested that contractors on their books, have gotten their SC through their own limited company and had advised to reach out in this forum to find out how to go about it. Alas, you have confirmed my doubts that it’s not possible. That said, it’s a catch 22. I find myself suitable for a lot of these roles but can’t apply as I have no SC and you can’t have one without a role offer at the least.... 🤔 what is one then supposed to do?
        Thank you for taking the time to reply though. I really appreciate it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rekha View Post
          have gotten their SC through their own limited company and had advised to reach out in this forum to find out how to go about it. !!
          An agent has suggested you go get good contracting advice from CUK? It's official. Agents don't have a clue what they are doing.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It's not a Cath-22 actually, it's just that the agencies are too dim (or too lazy) to understand the process properly.

You can apply for a role regardless of your clearance status. It's up to the hirer whether or not they will give it to you and sponsor you through the clearance process (think about it - how does anyone join the Civil Service, for example?). Agents however want their money yesterday so won't put forward people who are not already working in a cleared role.

Of course the obvious result is that the quality of people in cleared roles is on a downward spiral since there is little fresh blood coming in with current skills, but agencies don't do quality, they do revenue.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
            X