• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Go / no-go for permie...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go / no-go for permie...

Current client has offered me a role of £110k permie. As its a "Head of" role as opposed to my Ltd's various project work the past 2 years my accountant advised there should be no IR35 concerns. I'm on a very generous rate at the moment that £110k permie does not come anywhere close to. Realistically however I expect to drop to around £600-650 p/d for next contract. Add in pension of 10% and training commitments the package would be nearer £125k. Other usual benefits too but I don't tend to factor in.

We all know its not [just] about the money. For example, I love doing my own numbers and being outside of the politics, & being single I've no need for guaranteed salary. But thinking this may be worth a shot. I know the team and get on with them well. The organisation is chaos but where isn't! They're also willing to wait for me to take a couple months off to travel and recuperate, so I'd have the surety of income immediately post Brexit.

Do many folks on here yo-yo in and out of contract/permie during their time? What do you do with your warchest in the interim?

I went perm to gain SAP back in the late 90s. Then in the early 2000's again to get management experience. I've recently gone to 50% permie, because it's a small company I've worked with for years, and it's likely to take me into retirement. There development team is a bit conservative, so they want me to explore and exploit new technologies. So I get to have fun, learn new stuff and get paid a very good salary.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

How come in your first post you are asking questions about starting contracting and mentioned a potential gig on £500 a day and you are on 65k now.

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...t=#post2177907

A month later it appears you've already been contracting via a limited and are dropping down to 600?

Edit : forget the above. I can't read.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 27 December 2018, 17:27.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        How come in your first post you are asking questions about starting contracting and mentioned a potential gig on £500 a day and you are on 65k now.

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...t=#post2177907

A month later it appears you've already been contracting via a limited and are dropping down to 600?

Inneresting...

and if it's not it's still bollocks.
        Think your timelines are wrong.
        Started on £550 in March 2016.
        Moved to £800 p/d in August 2016, been on that since.

Some people clearly value me...

Comment

Originally posted by lionheart79 View Post
          Think your timelines are wrong.
          Started on £550 in March 2016.
          Moved to £800 p/d in August 2016, been on that since.

Some people clearly value me...
          Oops. You are right.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Oops. You are right.
            Quoting for prosperity. LOLZ
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Oops. You are right.
              You should have asked your accountant
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by lionheart79 View Post
                Current client has offered me a role of £110k permie. As its a "Head of" role as opposed to my Ltd's various project work the past 2 years my accountant advised there should be no IR35 concerns. I'm on a very generous rate at the moment that £110k permie does not come anywhere close to. Realistically however I expect to drop to around £600-650 p/d for next contract. Add in pension of 10% and training commitments the package would be nearer £125k. Other usual benefits too but I don't tend to factor in.

We all know its not [just] about the money. For example, I love doing my own numbers and being outside of the politics, & being single I've no need for guaranteed salary. But thinking this may be worth a shot. I know the team and get on with them well. The organisation is chaos but where isn't! They're also willing to wait for me to take a couple months off to travel and recuperate, so I'd have the surety of income immediately post Brexit.

Do many folks on here yo-yo in and out of contract/permie during their time? What do you do with your warchest in the interim?
                Standard answer ... but it's not just about the money. Politics, staff line management, appraisals, working extra hours for nothing, etc etc. If you're OK with this then no probs. But many of us contract to get away from the cr@p, and just want to get on with their job. Sometimes a perm (or an FTC) can be used as a stepping stone to get more training and/or experience to then take to other contracts but I think once you're happy and in the contractor mind set, why would you want to go back to perm? I don't know many contractors who have successfully gone back to per - most last 6 months then jump back into contracting.
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                  Standard answer ... but it's not just about the money. Politics, staff line management, appraisals, working extra hours for nothing, etc etc. If you're OK with this then no probs. But many of us contract to get away from the cr@p, and just want to get on with their job. Sometimes a perm (or an FTC) can be used as a stepping stone to get more training and/or experience to then take to other contracts but I think once you're happy and in the contractor mind set, why would you want to go back to perm? I don't know many contractors who have successfully gone back to per - most last 6 months then jump back into contracting.
                  But is that argument still true when contracting as we know it, is likely to be different in April 2020. It may be better to go permie now rather than later especially if you already know the people you are working for...

As for my view point - it's up to you but it may be worth finding somewhere to sit for a year or 2 while the dust settles down...
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Do the same job for less - sounds like a winner to me

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
                    X