• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bercow blocks the Government

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bercow blocks the Government

He says he won't allow a MV3 unless the deal is substantially changed.

He also said he won't allow a motion enabling a MV3.

And he would block any attempts to circumvent him.

John Bercow blocks attempt to get round his Meaningful Vote ruling | City A.M.

Last edited by stonehenge; 27 March 2019, 16:03.

Remainers: Can we have another referendum?
    Brexidiots NO that's betrayal of the people who have clearly voted to leave and we will hit you with our Zimmerframes if you are going to allow it

May: Can I have a second vote on my withdrawal agreement despite it was defeated with the highest vote against a sitting government ever
    Everybody: OK
    May can I have a 3d vote despite being defeated twice
    Bercow: No effing way unless you change it
    May: can I have a 3d vote despite you said no and despite it was shot down twice
    Bercow: WTF did I tell you? no
    Tories :

Comment

I look forward to seeing Bercrow forcibly and publically dragged from his chair and replaced by one of his deputies. Long live democracy.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
        I look forward to seeing Bercrow forcibly and publically dragged from his chair and replaced by one of his deputies. Long live democracy.
        Oh, the ironing.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I reckon he'll allow the deal to be voted on after the second lot of votes on Monday, as this will enable amendments to be put down.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            I reckon he'll allow the deal to be voted on as he just wants to keep his job as speaker.
            FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
              Remainers: Can we have another referendum?
              Brexidiots NO that's betrayal of the people who have clearly voted to leave and we will hit you with our Zimmerframes if you are going to allow it

May: Can I have a second vote on my withdrawal agreement despite it was defeated with the highest vote against a sitting government ever
              Everybody: OK
              May can I have a 3d vote despite being defeated twice
              Bercow: No effing way unless you change it
              May: can I have a 3d vote despite you said no and despite it was shot down twice
              Bercow: WTF did I tell you? no
              Tories :

Totally. Their mantra was 'take back control' & 'We want democracy' and then they sheit all over it. They should be thrown in jail.

The dirtiest of swamps are cleaner than this lot.
              Last edited by scooterscot; 28 March 2019, 10:51.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                I reckon he'll allow the deal to be voted on after the second lot of votes on Monday, as this will enable amendments to be put down.
                Only problem with that is it will require going back to the EU and asking for an extension beyond April 12 and changing the date in UK law again.

Her deal needs to be passed this week for the May extension date to take effect immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                  Only problem with that is it will require going back to the EU and asking for an extension beyond April 12 and changing the date in UK law again.

Her deal needs to be passed this week for the May extension date to take effect immediately.
                  It does, but it’s sort of ambiguous on the reason for any extension past April 12:

The European Council agrees to an extension until 22 May 2019, provided the Withdrawal Agreement is approved by the House of Commons next week. If the Withdrawal Agreement is not approved by the House of Commons next week, the European Council agrees to an extension until 12 April 2019 and expects the United Kingdom to indicate a way forward before this date for consideration by the European Council.
                  If the “indication of a way forward” by April 12 is the approval of the WA somewhere between Mar 29 and Apr 12, this may be sufficient for the EU to approve a separate extension to cover the period required for the supporting U.K. legislation to be put into place.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
                    If the “indication of a way forward” by April 12 is the approval of the WA somewhere between Mar 29 and Apr 12, this may be sufficient for the EU to approve a separate extension to cover the period required for the supporting U.K. legislation to be put into place.
                    Don't get me wrong, if she was somehow to get her deal approved next week then I find it hard to believe the EU wouldn't approve a further extension to 22 May, but my point was it wouldn't be automatic. We would have to request it, they would have to accept it and I believe due to the way yesterday's SI was worded, we'd need to pass another SI to change domestic legislation again.

Comment

Working...
                    X