• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dutch guy to London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dutch guy to London

Hi Guys,

This might be exactly the other way around as you normally do:

Being a Dutchman, I've survived the interviews for a London based assignment and I'm sorting out the contracts now. The recruiter insists that I get a National Insurance Number though. I have never requested such a thing before.

To my understanding, as both the UK and myself are in the EU, I can work in the UK (until Brexit really happens I suppose) and an A1/Certificate of Coverage form should state where the National Insurance (pension / healthcare etc) is payed. Therefore a NI Number is not needed.

Am I wrong? If I am wrong, are there significant downsides to a NI number besides the payments (which seems to be not unreasonable).

Thanks!

Ardbeg

Give him your NL NI number.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Give him your NL NI number.
      Thanks, NotAllThere.

I tried, they refused. They want an UK NI Number.

Comment

Although it is theoretically possible to work with your Dutch NI, it will be very problematic as this represents the exception rather than the rule. I think it is highly likely that it won't be possible.

You need either to run this through a payroll company or get an accountant to setup a company.

Basically if you do want to work in the UK you need to be paying UK tax and you need a NI number.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

You will pay taxes in the UK and therefor you need a UK NI number
          It's easy to request

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

Maybe an extra benefit of getting a NI number is that it is possibly easier to remain (pun intended :-) working in the UK after Brexit.

I have been told that it is required to be present in an office to have an interview in order to get a NI Number. Is that correct? I see companies who provide online services for this too.

Comment

Originally posted by ardbeg10y View Post
              Thanks for the replies!

Maybe an extra benefit of getting a NI number is that it is possibly easier to remain (pun intended :-) working in the UK after Brexit.

I have been told that it is required to be present in an office to have an interview in order to get a NI Number. Is that correct? I see companies who provide online services for this too.
              Yes you make an appointment with a jobcentre plus. They will ask you to show proof you have been offered a position in the UK or are actively searching. All I had to do was show them a printed email, with the confirmation I was offered a job (this was 14 years ago though). If you want to apply for pre-settled status it certainly helps to have an NI number.
              Some companies are already asking for proof that you have either settled or pre-settled status, my current client which has many EU workers are already doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                Yes you make an appointment with a jobcentre plus. They will ask you to show proof you have been offered a position in the UK or are actively searching. All I had to do was show them a printed email, with the confirmation I was offered a job (this was 14 years ago though). If you want to apply for pre-settled status it certainly helps to have an NI number.
                Some companies are already asking for proof that you have either settled or pre-settled status, my current client which has many EU workers are already doing it.
                Eirikur, thanks for your reply. Besides the job offering, did you have an UK address? I just gave the jobcentre a call (which is quite a challenge) and apparently I need to be in the UK to request an appointment. It is beyond me why I need to be in the UK to get an appointment.

Comment

Originally posted by ardbeg10y View Post
                  Eirikur, thanks for your reply. Besides the job offering, did you have an UK address? I just gave the jobcentre a call (which is quite a challenge) and apparently I need to be in the UK to request an appointment. It is beyond me why I need to be in the UK to get an appointment.
                  Yes I did have a UK address at the time. Another difference is that I started working in a permanent job at the time and I could just start working without NI number and they applied an emergency tax rate until I had one.
                  Can you use one of the agencies, that advertise they can request NI numbers? They must have dealt with similar situations before. Not sure how much it will cost you (if you do it on your own it is for free)

Stuur me een PM als je nog wat tips kan gebruiken of vragen hebt

Comment

Working...
                  X