• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Brexit to blame

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brexit to blame

"Brexit has helped to drag Arcadia to the brink of administration, says senior market analyst Fiona Cincotta of City Index.

She points out that a clutch of retailers have hit serious problems since the 2016 referendum:

Brexit is slowly but incredibly persistently eroding the confidence and the spending power of the British consumer. The process started fairly discreetly but given that it has now been in place for close to three years it is claiming more and more victims.

Notable business failures this year alone include Debenhams, LK Bennett, Wine Direct, Office Outlet, Steamer Trading, Patisserie Valerie, OddBins and Jamie Oliver’s chain of restaurants. The list is already long and scary enough without adding the big closures of 2017 and 2018.

Factor in the rise in online shopping, and high business rates, and it all adds up to a crisis."

Arcadia: Thousands of jobs saved as landlords back rescue plan - business live | Business | The Guardian

So now it's official - because I say so!

Says some random remoaner. It's official.

You are all depressing losers who can't handle reality, which is that many retail shops are from the last century in terms of shopping experience, are poorly stocked, badly staffed, poor value for money and difficult to find parking near.

Comment

Rubbish. Its due to the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Brexit has helped to drag Arcadia to the brink of administration
        If only I'd known this was going to happen, I'd have backed Brexit in the referendum. If we get a 'People's Vote' I'll correct my mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          "Brexit has helped to drag Arcadia to the brink of administration, says senior market analyst Fiona Cincotta of City Index.

She points out that a clutch of retailers have hit serious problems since the 2016 referendum:

Brexit is slowly but incredibly persistently eroding the confidence and the spending power of the British consumer. The process started fairly discreetly but given that it has now been in place for close to three years it is claiming more and more victims.

Notable business failures this year alone include Debenhams, LK Bennett, Wine Direct, Office Outlet, Steamer Trading, Patisserie Valerie, OddBins and Jamie Oliver’s chain of restaurants. The list is already long and scary enough without adding the big closures of 2017 and 2018.

Factor in the rise in online shopping, and high business rates, and it all adds up to a crisis."

Arcadia: Thousands of jobs saved as landlords back rescue plan - business live | Business | The Guardian

So now it's official - because I say so!
          BS. Patisserie Valerie was down to fraud, Jamie Oliver's was down to his BiLs incompetence, Debenhams hasn't gone yet. You can't just make stuff up, and blame something that hasn't happened yet. Taxes, rates, rents and govt regulation are equally, if not more significant factors.
          His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            BS. Patisserie Valerie was down to fraud, Jamie Oliver's was down to his BiLs incompetence, Debenhams hasn't gone yet. You can't just make stuff up, and blame something that hasn't happened yet. Taxes, rates, rents and govt regulation are equally, if not more significant factors.
            According to Brillo, it's the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
              According to Brillo, it's the internet.
              Bad reviews on Tripadvisor*, you mean?

*You know who you are, and you know what to do...
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                Bad reviews on Tripadvisor*, you mean?

*You know who you are, and you know what to do...
                Then how do you explain the Thistle Hotel Heathrow's continuing existence?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  Then how do you explain the Thistle Hotel Heathrow's continuing existence?
                  I can't think what you may mean...

Comment

Working...
                  X