• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Did anyone else use pension contributions in 18/19 to offset the loan charge ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone else use pension contributions in 18/19 to offset the loan charge ?

Hi,

The Loan Ranger did some excellent work on this topic

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...n+contribution

I used this for my 08-09 open year loan to offset it.

Did anyone else do this ?

CPBWRN

Pension Offset open years

Originally posted by CanPayButWouldRatherNot View Post
    Hi,

The Loan Ranger did some excellent work on this topic

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...n+contribution

I used this for my 08-09 open year loan to offset it.

Did anyone else do this ?

CPBWRN
    Agree that Loan Rangers posts were very informative, however with regards offsetting open years, although it may offset the loan charge tax due, there is still the issue of the underlying tax .
    I believe if you pay the LC , the amount paid can be used to offset the underlying tax due for the open year, if you have used a pension contribution to offset the LC , is this still the case?

Comment

Originally posted by Albert49 View Post
      Agree that Loan Rangers posts were very informative, however with regards offsetting open years, although it may offset the loan charge tax due, there is still the issue of the underlying tax .
      I believe if you pay the LC , the amount paid can be used to offset the underlying tax due for the open year, if you have used a pension contribution to offset the LC , is this still the case?
      he believed that once the loan charge ( a one time catch all loaners charge) was paid then they would not come back to us.

for me at 51 it was worth a shot anyway

Comment

and now regret it ?

Loan charge review means that careful planning to minimise 18-19 earnings and an offsetting pension contribution have been scuppered.

I know find myself in breach of pension rules by this government u turn.

dont get me wrong ... think its a great decision but can I get the keys for the HMRC time machine ?

Comment

Loan charge review means that careful planning to minimise 18-19 earnings and an offsetting pension contribution have been scuppered.

I know find myself in breach of pension rules by this government u turn.

dont get me wrong ... think its a great decision but can I get the keys for the HMRC time machine ?
          It’s fine you have 7 (or 5?) years to get the money back from your pension. I checked on this. This is where you have paid over you net relevant income.
          Last edited by starstruck; 20 December 2019, 14:22.

Comment

Originally posted by starstruck View Post
            It’s fine you have 7 (or 5?) years to get the money back from your pension. I checked on this. This is where you have paid over you net relevant income.

Les Cameron: When can a pension contribution be refunded? - Retirement Planner

"And with only a few exceptions, HMRC rules unfortunately do not allow to us to turn back the clock on pension contributions."

well hoping this is an exception to add to that list !

Comment

So apparently you can stack loan charge over 3 years under new terms. Does this not open up an opportunity to offset again? perhaps more effectively.

Comment

Les Cameron: When can a pension contribution be refunded? - Retirement Planner

"And with only a few exceptions, HMRC rules unfortunately do not allow to us to turn back the clock on pension contributions."

well hoping this is an exception to add to that list !
                Paying over net relevant income has a process where you just request the money back, I discussed on the phone with HL before making the contribution just in case something like this happened.

Comment

Originally posted by dammit chloe View Post
                  So apparently you can stack loan charge over 3 years under new terms. Does this not open up an opportunity to offset again? perhaps more effectively.
                  my loans are all old <dec 2010 so loan charge doesnt apply to me at all (afaik)

Comment

Originally posted by dammit chloe View Post
                    Depends whether this is simply a Time To Pay deal over the 3 years vs being able to declare loan charge amounts as income in each of the 3 years. I suspect the former which means you cannot mitigate further beyond pension contributions made in 18/19.

Comment

Working...
                    X