• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Only effects medium & Large companies?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only effects medium & Large companies?

Hi,

I will obviously be seeking professional advice as well but i thought i'd check here first, but I've been told my agency that IR35 will only affect medium and large companies as defined by HMRC, and that the company I am currently contracting for are defined as a small company, meaning that the reforms will not affect them in any way at all and of course meaning they will not affect me as a result. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

The criteria for a small company are:
    • have fewer than 50 employees
    • have less than £10.2 million turnover
    • have less than £5.1 million on the balance sheet.

Is they meet any 2 of the criteria they are deemed a small company, and so they fall outside of the legislation as it stands on 29/11/2019.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

Is they meet any 2 of the criteria they are deemed a small company, and so they fall outside of the legislation as it stands on 29/11/2019.
      It does however also depend on the viewpoint of their management though - risk adverse ones may well just adopt what is starting to look like a blanket "no contractor" policy.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

Thank you for this! So will need to confirm with them that they meet two of these criteria?

Comment

Originally posted by Sambola View Post
          Thank you for this! So will need to confirm with them that they meet two of these criteria?
          Yes.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Sambola View Post
            Hi,

I will obviously be seeking professional advice as well but i thought i'd check here first, but I've been told my agency that IR35 will only affect medium and large companies as defined by HMRC, and that the company I am currently contracting for are defined as a small company, meaning that the reforms will not affect them in any way at all and of course meaning they will not affect me as a result. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks
            For the avoidance of doubt

It's only the proposed reforms not the whole of IR35. Yourco will be responsible for determining its status ie no change from current situation

Comment

Working...
            X