• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Have to pick from this list ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have to pick from this list ...

Starting a contract in Jan, and whilst I would ultimately like to use Contractor Umbrella as my umbrella company, they're not on the PSL for the agent :-(

I have to choose from Giant, JSA, Brookson One, PayStream and ICS.

I've not used any of these ones before so would appreciate any advice as to which is the best of the bunch. It would be nice to take advantage of any salary sacrifice as regards pension contributions, but I understand only a few brollies cater for this.

My last brolly's payments were widly differing amounts each and every month, despite the same rate and same days worked per month over a couple of years, and I could never quite get a clear reason out of them of why - something I'm keen to avoid this time around.

I suspect getting the agent to consider Contractor Umbrella will prove fruitless, as they've already indicated the choice is somehow dictated by the client.

Which ones to avoid?

Speak to each in person to get a feel of the company, I can guess straight away who the agent is and I have been speaking with one of their senior team this morning about this very thing. I will keep you updated if you want

Comment

Thank you - that would be much appreciated. I have asked the agent this morning the question of whether other preferable umbrellas could be added, just waiting for the pushback reply, but if they're considering it that's good news.

I'll ring round the others, but it's difficult to know what service you're actually going to receive as they'll all talk the same spiel - margins may differ, but the actual working practices I won't find out about until I've joined. Paystream has been mentioned on here before as being ok, although their calculator seems a trifle optimistic.

Comment

Originally posted by Pixelpension View Post
        Starting a contract in Jan, and whilst I would ultimately like to use Contractor Umbrella as my umbrella company, they're not on the PSL for the agent :-(

I have to choose from Giant, JSA, Brookson One, PayStream and ICS.

I've not used any of these ones before so would appreciate any advice as to which is the best of the bunch. It would be nice to take advantage of any salary sacrifice as regards pension contributions, but I understand only a few brollies cater for this.

My last brolly's payments were widly differing amounts each and every month, despite the same rate and same days worked per month over a couple of years, and I could never quite get a clear reason out of them of why - something I'm keen to avoid this time around.

I suspect getting the agent to consider Contractor Umbrella will prove fruitless, as they've already indicated the choice is somehow dictated by the client.

Which ones to avoid?
        Hi Pixelpension,

The client will usually say that the company has to be FCSA members, or something similar, but the agent can sometimes be flexible with their PSL.

If you would like us to talk to them, please let me know. You never know, maybe our conversation will prove fruitful.

Kind regards

Zeeshan
        Dolan Accountancy

Contractor Umbrella

01442 795 100

Comment

Thanks Zeeshan, have pm'd you.

Comment

So having been told by the Agent that they can't possibly add any new umbrella as it takes 18 months, I've come to the conclusion that the Agent has simply given the Client their own preferred umbrellas to approve (with the agent getting some form of kickback), and the Client probably doesn't give a damn anyway.

Having read some bad reviews about Giant (couldn't get through anyway and annoying ads whilst on hold), similar reviews about Paystream (wouldn't tell me the weekly fee without demanding I give them all my details and being sold a salespitch over the phone), I'm left with Brookson One, JSA and ICS.

I've gone with ICS and I'll feedback my experience (assuming I get onsite without the project being cancelled before I start..)

Comment

Originally posted by Pixelpension View Post
              So having been told by the Agent that they can't possibly add any new umbrella as it takes 18 months, I've come to the conclusion that the Agent has simply given the Client their own preferred umbrellas to approve (with the agent getting some form of kickback), and the Client probably doesn't give a damn anyway.

Having read some bad reviews about Giant (couldn't get through anyway and annoying ads whilst on hold), similar reviews about Paystream (wouldn't tell me the weekly fee without demanding I give them all my details and being sold a salespitch over the phone), I'm left with Brookson One, JSA and ICS.

I've gone with ICS and I'll feedback my experience (assuming I get onsite without the project being cancelled before I start..)
              Maybe to soon to ask but hows your experience been with ICS ?

Comment

Originally posted by M12 View Post
                Maybe to soon to ask but hows your experience been with ICS ?
                Good so far, especially as agency didn't get things right - so a reasonable test of getting through on the phone etc. If there are no problems with payment and everthing is transparent, then they'd be a good bet for a brolly. Too early to judge on that, though (will they get my tax right etc)?

Comment

Working...
                X