• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How long can you carry a loss forward?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long can you carry a loss forward?

Looks like I'm going to be making a big loss this year (sad face), and I'm beginning to doubt the prospects for making much profit next year either. Is there any limit on the number of years I can carry the loss forward?

Originally posted by ittony View Post
    Looks like I'm going to be making a big loss this year (sad face), and I'm beginning to doubt the prospects for making much profit next year either. Is there any limit on the number of years I can carry the loss forward?
    With regards to the loss this year have you considered carrying the loss back against last years profits?
    For losses going forward, the extract from HMRC will be useful;

Profits that arise from 1 April 2017
    There are restrictions on the total amount of carried forward losses that can be offset against profits of accounting periods from 1 April 2017.

These apply to carried-forward trading losses so that the total:

amount that can be relieved using carried-forward trading losses that arose before 1 April 2017 is restricted to, broadly, the amount of an allowance up to £5 million, plus 50% of remaining trading profits after deduction of the allowance
    overall amount that can be relieved using most types of carried-forward losses - including carried-forward trading losses incurred either before or after 1 April 2017 - is restricted to, broadly, the amount of an allowance up to £5 million, plus 50% of remaining total profits after deduction of the allowance

Comment

Originally posted by Ricky@IntouchAccounting View Post
      With regards to the loss this year have you considered carrying the loss back against last years profits?
      For losses going forward, the extract from HMRC will be useful;
      Unfortunately I didn't make enough profit last year to offset it.

I did come across that HMRC extract but it didn't seem to say anything about the number of years it could be carried forward. The loss is all after 2017, and whilst large, is comfortably under £5 million I'm pleased to report. So that quote seems to be saying I can offset all of it, but for how long?

Comment

Unfortunately I didn't make enough profit last year to offset it.

I did come across that HMRC extract but it didn't seem to say anything about the number of years it could be carried forward. The loss is all after 2017, and whilst large, is comfortably under £5 million I'm pleased to report. So that quote seems to be saying I can offset all of it, but for how long?
        Until you make a profit that exceeds the balance of your losses or you reach £5m

Year 1 Loss of £1,000
        Year 2 Profit of £50 - Retained loss = £950
        Year 3 Profit of £300 - Retained loss = £650

and so on

Comment

Are we to assume you still don't have an accountant?

Under 5 million loss? since 2017?

So if you've been carrying a loss since 2017 how come your brother was involved and why have you been re-arranging shareholdings? In Nov 2019 you stated the company was making a profit. How did the working for equity pan out?

Something is starting to smell very fishy here.
          Last edited by northernladuk; 8 September 2020, 18:33.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Are we to assume you still don't have an accountant?
            Ah. The one who wanted a CT refund

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ax-refund.html

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              And to buy his brother out, re-arrange shareholdings and work for equity.....
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You do know that profit/loss is calculated before dividend distribution don’t you?
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  Under 5 million loss? since 2017?

So if you've been carrying a loss since 2017 how come your brother was involved and why have you been re-arranging shareholdings? In Nov 2019 you stated the company was making a profit. How did the working for equity pan out?.
                  northernladuk, if you're going to keep stalking me, could you at least up your reading comprehension skills please.

Comment

northernladuk, if you're going to keep stalking me, could you at least up your reading comprehension skills please.
                    No-one is stalking you. Looking for clarification

I won't go and check NLUK's comments against your posts as you'll think I'm a stalker too.

Comment

Working...
                    X