• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interview apparel

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interview apparel

What's everyone wearing for video job/contract interviews these day? Top half of a suit, or something a bit less stuffy?

Originally posted by ittony View Post
    What's everyone wearing for video job/contract interviews these day? Top half of a suit, or something a bit less stuffy?
    casual shirt with white t-shirt underneath. not too much effort, not too little.

depends what kind of role you are having the discussion for, if it is for director I would at least get a few fake diplomas to put in the background alongside some illegal ivory and your grandpa with a rifle in a hand.

Comment

Always a suit with tie even for webex interviews
      Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

If you're interviewing through an agency, just ask them for advice.

I'll always wear a shirt with tie for the big boss though.

Comment

Haven't done one yet but I'd wear same as I would normally. I'd make sure to have an empty white wall behind me as well, crazy how many people will do these in a cluttered room.

As for what to wear that depends on the client. Could be a suit and tie or could be just a nice shirt no tie if it's a more casual place.

If the agent sounds like he's experienced and worked with client before then I'll ask him. If it's a newbie or the client is new to them then I'll just spend a couple mins trying to figure it out through the company website and linkedin.

I think if people are dressing more casually because of the situation you will stand out in a positive way if you keep taking it seriously.

Comment

You're selling your services to a client. Wear a suit and tie for the initial interview (or at least, as much as they can see... ), then dress down to whatever level is suitable once you know what you're dealing with.

The general rule of thumb is to be slightly better dressed than your co workers.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Everyone assuming op is a man..
              If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

This suit and/or tie stuff is for old weirdos man, you are all mental.

Comment

Originally posted by SorenLorensen View Post
                  Naaaah, being presentable is always in style. Of course you don't want to show up in a suit/tie in a tech company where the developers don't shower and wear stained t shirts, cargo shorts and sandals.

But I think most of us are either working in finance or other industries where they usually dress a little nicer but not always which is why you should ask the agent (if he knows).

Comment

Originally posted by SorenLorensen View Post
                    Rubbish. You're trying to impress old weirdos, remember...

FWIW I haven't worn a tie to work for at least ten years - apart from interviews and initial client meetings.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X