• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

On call rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On call rates

wanted to get the congregations view on being on call. Are you required to be on call as part of your contract? If so, what rate do you charge? For those of you already on call, what rate do you charge? Client wants me to go on call but is being a sh!t about the on call rate.

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    wanted to get the congregations view on being on call. Are you required to be on call as part of your contract? If so, what rate do you charge? For those of you already on call, what rate do you charge? Client wants me to go on call but is being a sh!t about the on call rate.
    Not a problem surely? Business is only done when buyer and seller agree on the price. Neither is obliged to do the deal at the other's price.

Comment

Here's the last batch of answers.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...arge-call.html

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
        Not a problem surely? Business is only done when buyer and seller agree on the price. Neither is obliged to do the deal at the other's price.
        That's just it client has pretty much said do it or he will find someone else.

Bit more complicated than this but this is the gist of it.

Otherwise a great contract so don't want to lose it.

Comment

The contract might be great now, but if the client act's like that how long will it be great?

If you agree at their rate then you run the risk of being seen as a walkover who wll cave in when threatened.

Only you can know if the contract is worth having that reputation.....
          Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by blacjac View Post
            The contract might be great now, but if the client act's like that how long will it be great?

If you agree at their rate then you run the risk of being seen as a walkover who wll cave in when threatened.

Only you can know if the contract is worth having that reputation.....
            End client is cool - the service company who have resourced my services are the PITA.

Comment

So long as you life isn't going to be interrupted too much (or you can handle the intrusions), go for it. After all, it's extra money largely for just being on standby...

Comment

On-call process

If asked to be on-call out-of-hours or w/e's, there are 2 ways of dealing with this:
                1. If you can negotiate a multiple of your hourly rate, eg. 1.5 x £ 50 = £ 75 p/h for each call that can be dealt remotely, otherwise 1.5 x (half the daily rate) for each visit to the client (unless more than 4 hrs inc. travel, then whole day rate applies), that should cover your time and potential expenses of calls/travel.
                2. If you can't, due to budget restrictions or clients unwilling to do so (as in the poster's case), then work out using the above calculations how many hours does this entitle you off and take them during the normal working week.
                I don't think anyone would argue against either one. I have applied this to current project without any problems.

Comment

Money for nothing when last I did this. Went with option 1 per DJ suggestion above.

Comment

I don't do on call anymore, but I used to get 5% extra just for the weeks that I was on call plus the normal hourly rate for the time spent resolving a problem, with a minimum of 1 hour for each call.

Very rarely did I get called, and when I did, the problem would be solved in less than 10 minutes, so it was quite a nice little earner. However I did get called once, when I happened to be a little drunk which was a bit embarrassing, so watch out for that!
                    Last edited by Pinto; 21 May 2008, 10:08.

Comment

Working...
                    X