• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOMED - Recession worse than originally thought

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOOMED - Recession worse than originally thought

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...WJ0&refer=home

Can someone explain to me why it's predicted that the UK economy will only contract by 2.8% this year, whereas this quarterly figure predicts an annual rate of contraction in excess of 6%, if sustained?

Are there any reasons to think that the rate of contraction will fall this year?

Or is it that people just can't bring themselves to express the real scale of the doom?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Relax

It'll all be over by June...

Comment

Isn't 2.8% the IMF estimate from last year's numbers?

Comment

There is another tranche of CDS write downs to come, I am POSITIVE.

Also remember, monetary policy lags by 18 months, effects of low interest rates and printing money will not kick in for at least another 6 to 9 months, Sterling is gonna take a hammering against the Euro for sure. Maybe not against the Dollar as the yanks are printing too!

Waiting for the FTSE rally to peter out and close out my positions before end of the month. Can see it diving back to 3500 or less in April, esp post budget.

Comment

the figure is largely influenced by USA recovery - so what the IMF stated was in line with the USA coming out of it end of year .....

I think itll be alot worse. Going into the elections next year I think Brown will need bullet proof car to even campaign outside of downing street

Comment

The trouble is that when someone expresses an expectation, the probability that things will be better or worse than that expectation is much higher than the probability of the expectation being met. Any rational minded person will take the expectation simply as an educated guess that can provide a (limited) rationale for decision making; an irrational person will react to the news of the expectation not being met by expressing shock and horror and then stupidly selling or buying investments in an over-exuberant fashion.

Maybe my answer explains why a scientifically trained techie would never be employed in a trading room.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Cranberries are sorted for ripeness by bouncing them; a fully ripened cranberry can be dribbled like a basketball.
              Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
              threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                Cranberries are sorted for ripeness by bouncing them; a fully ripened cranberry can be dribbled like a basketball.
                I would have dribbled over Dolores O'Riordan when I and she were younger, but unlike many ripened ladies, she's actually become less atrractive; too thin for my taste.

Comment

What was that song about farting again...

Oh yeah, ....."did you have to let it linger"
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                    What was that song about farting again...

Oh yeah, ....."did you have to let it linger"
                    She actually managed to make that sound sexy.

Comment

Working...
                    X