• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New plan b

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New plan b

Selling burkinis

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-burkinis.html

Under the rules, swimmers – including non-Muslims – are barred from entering the pool in normal swimming attire.

Instead they are told that they must comply with the "modest" code of dress required by Islamic custom, with women covered from the neck to the ankles and men, who swim separately, covered from the navel to the knees.

But across the UK municipal pools are holding swimming sessions specifically aimed at Muslims, in some case imposing strict dress codes.

Croydon council in south London runs separate one-and-a half-hour swimming sessions for Muslim men and women every Saturday and Sunday at Thornton Heath Leisure Centre.

Swimmers were told last week on the centre's website that "during special Muslim sessions male costumes must cover the body from the navel to the knee and females must be covered from the neck to the ankles and wrists".

You've got to love Labour and their stance on "integration and immigration".

My sister in law has one of them, to me they simply look like a swimsuit with a hood, I really can't see what the big deal is with all the media attention they are getting.
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Yeah agree with Chef - don't understand the attention... they were wearing them in Dubai when I was there 10 years ago..... still wearing them now - big deal!
      Bazza gets caught
      Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

On the upside, prevents perving.

On the downside ... see above.

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
          Yeah agree with Chef - don't understand the attention... they were wearing them in Dubai when I was there 10 years ago..... still wearing them now - big deal!
          The big deal is the UK councils are imposing the Muslim dress restriction on all swimmers, Muslim or not in public swimming pools. In other words, everyone has to integrate with Muslim dress codes in the UK, not the other way round in a public place.

If you don't wear Muslim attire you are not allowed to swim.

Comment

A press officer at Croydon council, which introduced Muslim-only swimming in 2006, claimed that the wording on the website was a mistake and the dress code should be regarded as a suggestion rather than a requirement.

So not a slow news day then?

Comment

So where are the special sessions for Christians, Sikhs, Hindus or atheists? Or are Muslims paying extra for this exclusive use of publicly funded facilities?

Special treatments for groups whose life style is purely a personal decision, whether Muslims, travellers or MPs causes resentment and is bad policy.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                The big deal is the UK councils are imposing the Muslim dress restriction on all swimmers, Muslim or not in public swimming pools. In other words, everyone has to integrate with Muslim dress codes in the UK, not the other way round in a public place.

If you don't wear Muslim attire you are not allowed to swim.
                I see.
                Bazza gets caught
                Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

PS I want special sessions for pervy old atheists where everyone wears suits with cut outs at the back and big arrows pointing to their bottoms. Will I get it?
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                    I see.
                    Has the light switched on up there? Hellooooooo is there anybody in there?

(sound of echoey empty space)

Comment

Working...
                    X