• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thermostat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermostat

My darling OH is generally quite intelligent, but has a strangely irritating blind spot about the central heating thermostat. She seems to think that it's some kind of accelerator - the higher you set it, the faster the house warms up. I can't convince her that it's just either on or off.

Am I alone here?
    Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Sadly not.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I'm sure this has been discussed about a million times on here.
      Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Probably.

Surely the higher you set it, the longer the boiler stays on, so the hotter the radiators get, therefore the house warms up quicker.

I've added a fan that blows over the radiator to increase the thermal transfer rate.

It appears to work rather well.
        Nope. It's on or it's off. If the room temperature is less than the thermostat setting, it's on.

There is a different thermostat on the boiler, that controls how hot the water is (and therefore how long the boiler stay on for), and therefore how hot the radiators get. But the room thermostat just says "need heat" or "don't need heat".

Comment

I shall implement a datalogging exercise & check for you.

Can you do an Energy Audit while you're there?

(Glances at boiler. Old.
          Looks in loft. Insulated.
          Checks boxes. Presents bill for £300).

Comment

Probably.

Surely the higher you set it, the longer the boiler stays on, so the hotter the radiators get, therefore the house warms up quicker.

I've added a fan that blows over the radiator to increase the thermal transfer rate.

It appears to work rather well.
            Painting them black is supposed to increase the radiative heating power of the radiators even further
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              Painting them black is supposed to increase the radiative heating power of the radiators even further
              cooling

depending on your point of view.

Make sure it is matt black, to maximise the effect.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

My missus does the same. And with the car climate control...

A black surface does indeed increase the thermal radiation, but who wants black radiators??
                It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
                  My missus does the same. And with the car climate control...

A black surface does indeed increase the thermal radiation, but who wants black radiators??
                  I think that the use of the heating, ventilation and a/c should be part of the driving test. I see countless expensive cars with misted up windows because the drivers can’t work out the clear the windows.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    Most of the heat from a domestic radiator is via convection, not radiation. If you don't believe me put your hand 10cm above the radiator and then put it 10cm in front of the radiator.

Comment

Working...
                    X