• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Put that hospital on hold. India needs another £1bn.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put that hospital on hold. India needs another £1bn.

Have we done this one recently?

Link

MINISTERS provoked fury over Britain’s spiralling overseas aid budget yesterday by pledging a further £1billion of tax*payers’ cash to new economic giant India.

International Development Secretary Andrew Mitchell confirmed that the coalition Government would hand over £280million a year to the rapidly growing country at least until 2015.
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

It's a bribe so that more British companies can set up offshoots over there to get more ICTs over here
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

There are three times as many billionaires in India as there are in the UK.

India is very wealthy but has a lot of poor people.

I think a dose of New Labour style wealth redistribution, 50% tax rates plus NI etc would soon sort out India, rather than a small bankrupt country like the UK borrowing even more money so it can send it to one of the world's richest countries.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        There are three times as many billionaires in India as there are in the UK.

India is very wealthy but has a lot of poor people.

I think a dose of New Labour style wealth redistribution, 50% tax rates plus NI etc would soon sort out India, rather than a small bankrupt country like the UK borrowing even more money so it can send it to one of the world's richest countries.
        Indian Tax Calculator

I seem to remember coming across a site which quoted a million rupees p.a. for a Senior Developer at HP India.

Edit: Found a link

Code:
        Sr. Software Engineer / Developer / Programmer  Rs   630,267
        Project Manager, Information Technology (IT)    Rs   919,354
        Technical Support Engineer                      Rs   212,000
        Information Technology (IT) Consultant          Rs   424,000
        SAP Consultant                                  Rs   476,086
        Software Engineer                               Rs   360,000
        Service Delivery Manager                        Rs 1,250,202
        Last edited by Sysman; 15 February 2011, 12:21.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

The crazy thing is that India has an overseas aid programme!

Comment

On top of remittances. 3 times direct aid, if UK is typical.

BBC NEWS | Business | India tops migrant workers table
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
              Those the gods wish to destroy, they first make mad.

Poor old Clive must be spinning in his grave.
              Indeed. Two hundred years after he pillaged and made us rich, we're giving it all back. At least they got railways and a civil service out of it, all we'll get is sharia law.
              But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Us?

Who is this "us" of whom you speak?

Clive made Clive rich.

And a few other nabobs.
                No us in the modern sense, the wealth plundered from India helped fuel the Industrial Revolution.
                But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                  No us in the modern sense, the wealth plundered from India helped fuel the Industrial Revolution.
                  Did you make that up or do you believe it?

The Industrial Revolution was over shortly before the British Raj started.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                    Did you make that up or do you believe it?

The Industrial Revolution was over shortly before the British Raj started.
                    the Company was granted an English Royal Charter, under the name Governor and Company of Merchants of London Trading into the East Indies, by Elizabeth I on 31 December 1600.[4]

Comment

Working...
                    X