• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Them USB flash thingies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Them USB flash thingies

I recently carried a USB flash disk in my hand luggage, which was x-rayed.

My PC now says it is not formatted, and hence pretty useless.

Could an x-ray machine wipe a flash disk, or is it that it spends too much time in my trouser pocket?

probably got damp in your pocket. 'nuff said'
    Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

The heat perhaps?

Comment

generated by friction ?
        Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Most airport X-rays machines should not wipe them but it is hit and miss by airport/country so generally not recomended to let them put flash drives/laptops/mobiles/MP3 players though the standard scanner

Comment

I had a Kingston one of those. Same happened to me although it was even more innocuous. I just used it about 4 or 5 times and then it stopped working - "no disk present in drive" messages when trying to use. I hadn't been anywhere except in the study.

Pile of crap they are.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn

Could an x-ray machine wipe a flash disk, or is it that it spends too much time in my trouser pocket?
              Possible, but unlikely.

Have taken my old Kingston 250mb keyfobbything through many airports and never had a problem.

Agree with Mrs Goof that it's more likely to be a knob-proximity issue.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Not So Wise
                Most airport X-rays machines should not wipe them but it is hit and miss by airport/country so generally not recomended to let them put flash drives/laptops/mobiles/MP3 players though the standard scanner
                Fortunately most security conscious airports won't let you not put a laptop or whatever through the scanner. If you start making a fuss at the scanner they say, "look, sir, you've got three choices - put it through the scanner, go back and check it in as hold luggage, or leave it here with me to dispose of down the local pub as soon as I'm off-duty".

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn

Shot your load at the thought of Janey?
                  I'll get me coat ....
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru
                    Shot your load at the thought of Janey?
                    I'll get me coat ....
                    "Well behaved women rarely make history"

Comment

Working...
                    X