• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

1967 Austin Morris Traveller

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1967 Austin Morris Traveller

A friend of mine has been restoring one of these over the past few months. He's in his mid fifties, and one of his old work buddies (in his 70s) used to work on these cars when he was a young apprentice mechanic. Between the pair of them the engine has been restored to former glory, the bodywork restored and all the timber framing lovingly brought back to lustre.

I've watched from a distance as the project took shape, and have been really impressed with the quality of the workmanship and the pride that has gone into their work.

So you can imagine how shocked I was that they were having some serious problems with the electrics, and asked me to help.

I've recently got back from a day on the car. First fault indicators intermittently working, dodgy earth to relay unit. Full beams not working and full beam indicator on dash not working, miswiring rectified to the schematic in the Haynes.

Finally, and the really interesting bit was the rear indicators. They worked ok, but also came on when you pressed the foot brake. I checked and re-checked the schematic, and it was correct. The indicators were also the tail lights and the brake lights.

But at the back of the car was a seperate indicator unit, and seperate brake light / tail light unit.

It turns out the earlier travellers had all in one units, brake light/tail light/indicator. The arse end of this car was not original and had been sourced from ebay. So I deduced this logically by asking the right questions, and then suggested a modification to the wiring to operate the two units independantly.

My mate was sceptical, but when I pointed out I had been spot on so far, and he had asked me he should place his trust in me. So 30 minutes later, with the new cabling pulled through and the mods made to the relay unit we fired up the car and went through the lights checks.

IT ONLY FLIPPING WORKED.

What an adventure, and a priviledge to be a part of that restoration project in some small way.

And to help out a mate was fab to.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Line one for Suity. It's a fella from Jackanory wondering if you're free for a few afternoons next week.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Line one for Suity. It's a fella from Jackanory wondering if you're free for a few afternoons next week.
        When you're overseas your kids love it when I read to them.

Comment

Morris Minor Owners Club • View topic - Lights/Indicators

See second post.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            When you're overseas your kids love it when I read to them.
            When you're at home my kids love it when you read to them.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

blah blah blah
              Did you get a new job or what?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                Did you get a new job or what?
                Yes.

Comment

Yes.
                  And why ain't you working then to make up for downtime?

Lazy layabout BE GONE!

Comment

Actually I reckon a pottering / tinkering project that you never expect to complete is a great way to de-stress at weekends. Probably healthier than knocking back a couple of bottles of wine too.

Comment

Working...
                    X