• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is Hector Missing A Trick?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Hector Missing A Trick?

BBC News - Who, What, Why: Why are US athletes taxed on Olympic medal wins?

US medal-winning athletes at the Olympics have to pay tax on their prize money - something which is proving controversial in the US. But why are athletes from the US taxed when others are not?
    Boomed!

Although

Money is not awarded by the International Olympic Committee. The decision whether to offer prize money is made by the national Olympic Committees in each individual country, who also set the sum.

UK medal winners get no prize money - but get the honour of appearing on a stamp instead.
    Cheapskates!
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

IMO HMRC should tax British citizens on their global income.

Comment

Surely getting your mug on a stamp is a Benefit in Kind, and so should be taxed.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        Surely getting your mug on a stamp is a Benefit in Kind, and so should be taxed.
        Only if you copyright your image and charge a penny a stamp for the privilege of using it!

Comment

High taxes on sportsmen performing in various things is an obstruction to getting events - I think they had problems with Champions League final and it certainly won't help get more of this in the future.

Some reasonable flat rate tax of 10% would be reasonable perhaps - Govt makes money from VAT from associated sales, duties on booze drunk and fuel used to drive, income tax, NI etc on local employed people etc etc.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            What about loans?

Comment

I hope you never work abroad under those rules!
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                He never does.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                  If I go I would happily renounce my British citizenship. Might stop people assuming I am a chav.

Comment

Might stop people assuming I am a chav.
                    nah U is out bro.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X