• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice On Training Please - What's Hot Now?!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice On Training Please - What's Hot Now?!

Hi,

I have been working as a web developer for around 10 years now, however most of my work has been custom applications using PHP/MySQL so I don't have any experience of frameworks and as a result I am struggling to find work. I am looking at brushing up my skills with some training, I was thinking of doing a Magento course as this seems to be a skill that's in demand, does anyone have any other advice on skills that are in demand that I could get trained in?

Thanks for your advice

rescued by the 'dont let the newbie sink into oblivion' service
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by shaunie View Post
      Hi,

I have been working as a web developer for around 10 years now, however most of my work has been custom applications using PHP/MySQL so I don't have any experience of frameworks and as a result I am struggling to find work. I am looking at brushing up my skills with some training, I was thinking of doing a Magento course as this seems to be a skill that's in demand, does anyone have any other advice on skills that are in demand that I could get trained in?

Thanks for your advice
      PHP was written by code monkeys for code monkeys, and the abysmal PHP contract rates (and the quality of the language) reflect that.

First bit of advice would be to try and dabble with and switch to python (not perl, because then you'd be competing with me!) if your current contract allows any leeway in that.

But obviously, getting contracts using a new skill is easier said than done.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by shaunie View Post
        Hi,

Thanks for your advice
        You should also speak to some agents, search jobserve etc.

For future referance, always try to up-skill while on a project.
        Only take contracts that are an 80% match to your skill, so you learn something new on each project.
        When you are offered a contract, I am always looking at how will this contract help me getting my next contract.

Is it a good client to have on my CV, high profile project, will I be looking for a new contract at the right time.
        Rate? I have not even applied unless it was the right rate.

You have been on auto-pilot mate, wake up

HTH
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

I have heard that Drupal or Joomla skills are in demand for £decent, the story is that a lot of big organisations (read: govt) use these tools as they were 'free' but have been stiffed by php code monkeys and have trouble maintaining their sites.

Also in addition to or rather than a course why not set up your own magneto site selling non-existent products. Better for learning and easier to put on your CV to get you in the door. You could try selling sleds or something, one of the guys here had a lot of success with that apparently, winter is coming n'all
          Keeping calm. Keeping invoicing.

Comment

Hmmmmm, me thinks a regular doesn't want his stock in trade discussed....

Comment

What about shifting to more front-end focus with javascript? Think of all those nice mobile and hand-held devices that are popping up everywhere.

Comment

Working...
              X