• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Payroll & maternity pay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Payroll & maternity pay

A nice dodgy question for an opening post!!!

I've been planning to do a payrise starting the new tax year probably since the start of the last tax year, I'm now pregnant so whatever I'm paid will affect my SMP.
    Sods law timing-wise, the last month of this tax year just becomes eligible for calculating the SMP -there's days in it. This means I'll get less.

I've already used up anything available in my basic rate allowance over & above my planned annual salary with dividends etc so if I gave myself a bit extra for the last month it would put me in higher rate. How badly frowned upon would it be to pay myself a little less in January & February so I can match the new salary amount in March?

I'm not dodgy & looking for every loophole honestly, I just like puzzles & mathematical challenges & thinking about these things. If something's worth it & I can be bothered I might do it, otherwise I just like to know so I know!!!

What does your accountant suggest?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
    X