• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Supermarkets 'to be banned from discounting multiple wine bottles'"

Collapse

• Epiphone
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post
    I feel there's a new business venture to be had: The Smokey-Drinky.

I could invite people over to my house where we share some beer, wine and spirits, have a nice raging fire in the living room, have a smoke, put some music on and have a chat, perhaps even a bite to eat. No kids, obviously, this is adult time.

I could even extend this to some friends of friends.

I could call this a house open to the public.

Or a public house, even.

Er,...
    Sounds like the start of a swingers adventure to me.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Something which shows the law-makers flouting their own laws is not propaganda.
    Yes you're right, hypocrisy would be the better chosen word.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Something which shows the law-makers flouting their own laws is not propaganda.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    A 'home pub' would be quite nice, most are nothing like the cosy environment that portrays. That sounds more like a private members club... are you still allowed to smoke if it's not public?
    Even the pig sties are exempt from smoking, apart from certain toilets:

State Propaganda

Although the bansturbaters are working themselves into a froth from our hard earned salaries to getting towards their authoritarian nirvana with this:

ASH

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    A 'home pub' would be quite nice, most are nothing like the cosy environment that portrays. That sounds more like a private members club... are you still allowed to smoke if it's not public?

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    I used to hate coming out and sniffing my clothes and smelling like a chimney. Disgusting.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
    I cant see it catching on.
    Indeed. The only way to make money out of a pub these days is to turn it into flats.

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by hyperD View Post

I could invite people over to my house where we share some beer, wine and spirits, have a nice raging fire in the living room, have a smoke, put some music on and have a chat, perhaps even a bite to eat. No kids, obviously, this is adult time.

Or a public house, even.

Er,...
    I cant see it catching on.

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Originally posted by IR35FanClub View Post
    Thinking of Majestic - do they still insist on buying a minimum of 12 bottles? Haven't been there for years as I prefer to buy one of 2 otherwise I keep drinking them. Which makes the gov's policy QED
    Been to Majestic twice in the last 2 months. I bought just 6 bottles both times, mixing a two pairs with two singles I wanted to try out. Dont recall there being a minimum, although you save money on buying pairs of either same wine or same region depending on the deals for those wines. Going to go back again, much better than supermarket wines.

Leave a comment:

• hyperD
    replied

Or a public house, even.

Er,...

Leave a comment:

• escapeUK
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Economic depression....prohibition....all sounds rather familiar.

How about the govt concentrate on the economy, jobs, immigration, the farce known as the EU etc and leave nannying to New Labour?
    People voted the New Lie in three times, so obviously their policies are vote winners. Imitation, flattery etc

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I don't think this counts as prohibition DP. Surely you don't buy your wine from Tesco anyway.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Economic depression....prohibition....all sounds rather familiar.

How about the govt concentrate on the economy, jobs, immigration, the farce known as the EU etc and leave nannying to New Labour?

Leave a comment:

• IR35FanClub
    replied
    Have no fear - they will just start selling 6 bottles of wine in their original box, a bit like Majestic. This is a different product and therefore is not being discounted.

Thinking of Majestic - do they still insist on buying a minimum of 12 bottles? Haven't been there for years as I prefer to buy one of 2 otherwise I keep drinking them. Which makes the gov's policy QED.

Actually - I'm a reformed minor alcoholic. As in someone who used to have a little drink most nights. There's been a bottle on the rack for a 10 days now - and I haven't touched it. I feel much more clear of head in the mornings and most of all the wallet notices the difference! Given that alchol is mostly tax, then not drinking is good in my book.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    £4 for a pint of Stella at my local pub or £3.75 for a bottle of Semillon Chardonay after a 25% off for 6 bottles from Tesco.

Mmmmm. Pub or stay home...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X