• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Parliament live - IR35"

Collapse

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by simes View Post
    ...and the present tense of beget is where it gets its 's'.

Count me as someone else to ignore, by all means.
    You have 742 better reasons to ignore you.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    not according to this?
    Begat dictionary definition | begat defined

Snooky was right. You're still wrong while trying to be right. Now we're wildly
    This subject is the one thing where the HoL members would beat us all.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Snooky View Post
    No it isn't. "begat" is the past tense, singular or plural.

"Jacob begat Joseph"
    "The parents begat five children"

The only valid use of "begats" is the plural of the noun form, "begat", which is a genealogical list.

Ta, I'm bored stiff so I just thought I'd join in by being a pedantic @rse, to fit in with others on the forum. Please feel free to ignore me entirely
    Alright 11/10.
    Pucking fedant

Leave a comment:

• simes
    replied

Count me as someone else to ignore, by all means.

Leave a comment:

• Snooky
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    "begats" is the plural past tense of beget.
    No it isn't. "begat" is the past tense, singular or plural.

"Jacob begat Joseph"
    "The parents begat five children"

The only valid use of "begats" is the plural of the noun form, "begat", which is a genealogical list.

but 10/10 for being picky whether you're right or wrong.
    Ta, I'm bored stiff so I just thought I'd join in by being a pedantic @rse, to fit in with others on the forum. Please feel free to ignore me entirely

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by Snooky View Post
    One might have thought someone so apparently intelligent and erudite would understand the difference between the past and present tenses.
    not sure I get you. That quote is all past tense.
    "begats" is the plural past tense of beget.

but 10/10 for being picky whether you're right or wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Snooky
    replied
    Scrutiny begats evidence, which begats knowledge, which begats informed decision making
    One might have thought someone so apparently intelligent and erudite would understand the difference between the past and present tenses.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    ...Which thus again, 'begs the question'.

I feel myself going round in circles. I will stop now.
    it doesn't really beg the question. The question is answered.

What bit of "parliamentary scrutiny" evades you? When they come to actually vote on these things they use evidence gathered at committees to inform the debate and the vote itself.

Scrutiny begats evidence, which begats knowledge, which begats informed decision making (or not but that's a different matter as we elected these cretins).

Leave a comment:

• simes
    replied
    They don't have powers. They are there for scrutiny.
    ...Which thus again, 'begs the question'.

I feel myself going round in circles. I will stop now.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Ah, apologies for not understanding this. And indeed for boring you. Your time must be valuable.

Seemingly a couple of us mistook the meeting to be an HoL lead thing. Would you happen to know what the powers of a Finance Sub Committee have then? Would they have the power to bring about a halt to all this?

I have mentioned elsewhere a complete lack of knowledge as to 'tail and dog' in respect of Government and HMRC. Who directs whom, push to shove?
    They don't have powers. They are there for scrutiny.

as for what HMRC are... Google is your friend. It's far too complex to go into on this forum. About us - HM Revenue & Customs - GOV.UK

Leave a comment:

• simes
    replied
    That wasn't the HoL. That was a finance bill sub-comittee. The fact it had lots of Lords is immaterial to the process.
    Ah, apologies for not understanding this. And indeed for boring you. Your time must be valuable.

Seemingly a couple of us mistook the meeting to be an HoL lead thing. Would you happen to know what the powers of a Finance Sub Committee have then? Would they have the power to bring about a halt to all this?

I have mentioned elsewhere a complete lack of knowledge as to 'tail and dog' in respect of Government and HMRC. Who directs whom, push to shove?

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Which begs the question, why did they convene at all then?
    That wasn't the HoL. That was a finance bill sub-comittee. The fact it had lots of Lords is immaterial to the process.

Their personal interests in, and potential educations to IR35 aside, to what end was their meeting?
    parliamentary scrutiny. This is what sovereignty looks like.

<snip boring>

Anyway, I loved all the questions about CEST being fit for purpose. Has it not sunk in yet that this is now currently missing the point and that the question is redundant?

Because - No One Uses It. PSCs are being banned across the estate.
    The question is not redundant. Lots use it. And PSCs are not being banned.
    Anecdotal evidence from some of the larger players is not evidence of the entire private sector.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied

To get several hundred quid in payments and a jolly nice hotel and dinner and drinks I presume

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• simes
    replied
    HoL can do sweet FA.
    The parliament act of 1911 prevents HoL from blocking a finance bill. Only the commons can do that.

Their personal interests in, and potential educations to IR35 aside, to what end was their meeting?

If I could not bring about change due to my not having the powers and breadth of shoulder, I would see there being no reason to attend and perhaps get on with some dusting...

Anyway, I loved all the questions about CEST being fit for purpose. Has it not sunk in yet that this is now currently missing the point and that the question is redundant?

Because - No One Uses It. PSCs are being banned across the estate.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Just finished watching the whole thing, and the take away is.....

Well we’ve been saying this all along. What can the HoL do when all this has been said before. The scant conciliatory notes announced last Friday will be more than enough for HMRC to say “well we listened and made some changes, all good to go now”

I hope I’m wrong, but I know I’m not
    HoL can do sweet FA.
    The parliament act of 1911 prevents HoL from blocking a finance bill. Only the commons can do that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X