• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Settlement groups - common purpose?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Settlement groups - common purpose?

This section of the website has details of perhaps 6 or more settlement groups.

I think that the NTRT thread might also have some?

Do these groups ever share information or views?

Should they?

Originally posted by Rob79 View Post
    This section of the website has details of perhaps 6 or more settlement groups.

I think that the NTRT thread might also have some?

Do these groups ever share information or views?

Should they?
    ..they should, but they don't.

Comment

Originally posted by jbryce View Post
      ..they should, but they don't.
      Understood.

I think that they should because they are stronger together and HMRC's overall plan is always to pick off stragglers and the injured.

I'd like to invite any settlement group co-ordinators to contact me (PM or I'll give out an e-mail address separate from the forum if required) and I'll start by composing a list of which groups exist, where they are in their process and what is being planned.

Does that make sense?

Comment

Understood.

I think that they should because they are stronger together and HMRC's overall plan is always to pick off stragglers and the injured.

I'd like to invite any settlement group co-ordinators to contact me (PM or I'll give out an e-mail address separate from the forum if required) and I'll start by composing a list of which groups exist, where they are in their process and what is being planned.

Does that make sense?
        Ask them to pony up £50, and then start an internet based trade association.
        Error 404: Signature not found.

Comment

Understood.

Does that make sense?
          Without being a member of each group, which I assume you're not, how do you know where they are in their individual processes and plans?

Comment

You will never ever get HMRC to settle. Its a fight to the death. And at the moment HMRC are well ahead.

Comment

Why not found a group called PCG? Then charge everyone £180 per annum to join... The name is now available I believe since the previous incumbents rebranding exercise...
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by PeterF View Post
                Without being a member of each group, which I assume you're not, how do you know where they are in their individual processes and plans?
                Because the schemes used are different, the people who used them have different motives and objectives, the enthusiasm of HMRC varies from scheme to scheme, some have information available, some not, some have settlement offers open, some want to "fight to the death".

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  You will never ever get HMRC to settle. Its a fight to the death. And at the moment HMRC are well ahead.
                  HMRC will settle for the "right amount of tax" because they are obliged to. They know this and hence the various (ungenerous at the moment) settlement offers.

Settling with a bit less public fuss and exposure happens all the time.

Are HMRC ahead?

They have no clear Court decision that can be applied widely. They have been defeated twice on a high profile scheme. They are making settlement offers. They have limited data. They arguably have limited understanding.

Equally, they control the timetable and can be forced into action only with the application of funds to the lawyers. They do have public opinion on their side.

Ahead, yes perhaps. The secret therefore is to recover some of the ground.

Comment

Are you sure they have public opinion on their side? Most of the intelligent people I speak to regarding taxation think that we, the public are part of an extortion racket!

I agree with you that these groups are stronger together.

Comment

Working...
                    X