• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Discussion with my MP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discussion with my MP

Managed to see my MP about the T&S changes and the noises coming out about IR35 changes.

She seemed genuinely surprised that the T&S changes would remove expenses for staying away from home and stated that people like myself who put themselves out to work away from home aren't the intended target.

I also highlighted how IR35 would make use responsible for paying Employers Taxes (i.e. NIC) and would also mean that the the exception of the 5% set aside all other expenses e.g. training to keep our skills up would have to be paid for out taxed income - which was also something she wasn't aware of.

I summed up by pointing out that number of major projects in my sector are likely to lose a significant number of skilled contractors and endangering the ability of the end client to deliver to their customers. She then said to her assistant "Do you think BIS are aware of this?" i.e are the other government departments aware of the hit they could take?

She has told me that she'll get back to me after the autumn statement this coming week, when things may be a bit clearer.

It may not achieve anything at all, but at least I have tried.

I thought it is still possible to claim expenses over and above the 5% when inside IR35?

The IR35 5% expenses rule

5% allowance is only for "administration" and is to cover the ten points above. In addition to the 5% for administration costs, a contractor can also claim direct costs such as travel, computer costs, subsistence, direct training, sub contractors, etc.
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

My understanding is T&S will be lost for both inside and outside of IR35 come next year as each gig will be counted as your permanent place of work.

Need to wait for Autumn Statement and it's details to be sure

Comment

Originally posted by Acme Thunderer View Post
        So do you feel better now?

The issue is that all government MPs have to vote for the government. Else it is a statement of no confidence. I have seen this over the years with f4j and NTRT. Lots of nice noises. They are genuinely shocked.

HOWEVER the government run the country on behalf of HMRC.

There are many civil servants who eith cannot be sued or effectively cannot be sued. I think that says it all.

Comment

Managed to see my MP about the T&S changes and the noises coming out about IR35 changes.

She seemed genuinely surprised that the T&S changes would remove expenses for staying away from home and stated that people like myself who put themselves out to work away from home aren't the intended target.

I also highlighted how IR35 would make use responsible for paying Employers Taxes (i.e. NIC) and would also mean that the the exception of the 5% set aside all other expenses e.g. training to keep our skills up would have to be paid for out taxed income - which was also something she wasn't aware of.

I summed up by pointing out that number of major projects in my sector are likely to lose a significant number of skilled contractors and endangering the ability of the end client to deliver to their customers. She then said to her assistant "Do you think BIS are aware of this?" i.e are the other government departments aware of the hit they could take?

She has told me that she'll get back to me after the autumn statement this coming week, when things may be a bit clearer.

While I have written to mine a number of times and seen him recently I was left with the distinct impression that he wasn't prepared to give much away or was particularly sympathetic to the plight of contractors. However, he did concede the point that the T&S changes are likely to be very damaging to both contractors and businesses outside of major conurbations.

This week is going to be both interesting and terrifying, although not necessarily in that order.

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
            This week is going to be both interesting and terrifying, although not necessarily in that order.
            As I've already stated we are turkeys waiting on Christmas!

Comment

Originally posted by pjt View Post
              As I've already stated we are turkeys waiting on Christmas!
              Will John Connor please stand up.

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
                While I have written to mine a number of times and seen him recently I was left with the distinct impression that he wasn't prepared to give much away or was particularly sympathetic to the plight of contractors. However, he did concede the point that the T&S changes are likely to be very damaging to both contractors and businesses outside of major conurbations.

That's for sure.

The T&S is actually something I think we'll get away with, it makes no sense at all. I know of many, many contractors who live up north and work in London, its a disaster for them

Comment

Well done for doing that. Better than nothing!

Comment

Mine is Michael Bleeding Gove ferchrissakes. More Muppetry one cannot imagine...
                    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Working...
                    X