• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PSC - view for the bar

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSC - view for the bar

Tax loss, business and personal service companies | Waiting for Godot

This has just arrived in my inbox.

I've not yet had a chance to read it but the title appears to fit this thread so I thought it worth sharing, for the moment without comment.

In full

Reform of the taxation of personal service companies was top of everyone’s list of tips for the Autumn Statement. Reform was widely briefly. But “not yet” was the message. Although it remains on the cards it was not delivered by the Autumn Statement.

Most of what follows I wrote on the morning before the Autumn Statement. I had intended it to be a piece congratulating David Gauke, Financial Secretary to the Treasury, on delivering a much needed policy reform. Obviously I can’t publish that piece. But instead of adding ‘wasted my morning’ to (the bottom of) my (long) list of complaints about the Conservative Government I offer it, mildly revised, as an argument for the reform we need.

To understand why personal service companies are used you need to start with two important facts about the tax system and one about the nature of the employment relationship.

Tax Fact One

First, liability to operate PAYE – to deduct income tax and NICs from payments made to employees – rests with the employer. If the employer (call it ‘XCo’) doesn’t operate PAYE properly, XCo (almost always) carries the can. Even if the consequence of that failure is that the employee (MrY) is better off.

This has the important consequence that every time XCo engages MrY on a ‘freelance’ or self-employed basis XCo takes on risk that HMRC will, later, say that MrY was an employee, leaving XCo with a substantial bill for failing to operate PAYE.

Tax Fact Two

Second, there are lots of advantages for both XCo and MrY to MrY being self-employed.

Above a certain threshold (currently, annualised, £8,112), all income paid by XCo to an employed MrY attracts a 13.8% surcharge. Payments made to a self-employed MrY don’t attract that surcharge.

MrY is also – in cash terms at least – better off. On earnings of between £8,060 and £42,380 an employed MrY will pay NICs of 12% but a self-employed MrY will pay 9%. A self-employed MrY also enjoys a cashflow advantage – and a more generous regime for deducting his expenses.

And the advantages for XCo are not merely cash advantages. It gets to engage MrY with fewer (expensive) employment rights.

XCos are often prepared to share with MrYs some of their advantages in the form of higher pay to encourage them to agree to ‘self-employment’. Sometimes, properly understood, these arrangements are abusive and involve MrY undervaluing his employment law rights – and sometimes they don’t. Indeed, there are many cases where (for this and other reasons) MrY will not work for XCo unless he is engaged on a self-employed basis. There is no hard and fast rule.

Employment Fact

The one fact about employment is this.

If MrY has a direct relationship with XCo, he doesn’t get to choose whether he’s an employee or not. Whether he is or not depends on the proper legal characterisation of what he does and what his contract with XCo says. But if MrY is engaged through a personal service company (PSC) to supply his services to XCo he will almost always be self-employed. So XCo and MrY can transform what would be a relationship of employment into a relationship of self-employment by interposing a PSC between them.

The reasons for these tax differences – if there are reasons, and there might be – are poorly understood. I have explored them in some detail here. Many argue forcefully that they should be eradicated. For what it’s worth, for my own part I am not, or not yet, in that camp.

The reasons for the employment differences are also coming under some scrutiny: see Jeremy Corbyn’s speech at Party Conference here and my response here.

When in 1999 the then Government announced the introduction of IR35 its stated objective was to tackle the use by both engagers and workers of personal service companies to arbitrage tax differences: my Tax Fact Two above.

It sought to achieve its objective by, in effect, ignoring the interposition of a PSC between XCo and MrY. It asked whether, if XCo employed MrY directly he would be an employee or self-employed?

If the answer was “employed” XCo would have an obligation to operate PAYE (see Tax Fact One). And XCo would bear the risk of getting it wrong. At least, that was what was originally proposed.

But XCos didn’t like that risk and they lobbied Government furiously. And the then Government caved and put the liability on the PSC instead.

And that turned out to be a fatal error.

Because, instead of looking at a (relatively small) number of XCos, an overstretched and under-resourced HMRC had to undertake extensive and complex investigations into a (relatively large: tens or hundreds of thousands) number of PSCs.

And if they found a relationship that, ignoring the interposition of the PSC, looked like employment they had to challenge it in the courts.

And each of those cases would have no formal read-across to other PSCs: so HMRC had to litigate them case by case.

And very often, even when HMRC won, it couldn’t collect the tax. The PSC would simply wind itself up and MrX would start a new one. So common was this practice that it acquired a name: ‘Phoenixism’.

Meanwhile, XCo carried merrily on. It continued to have an incentive to engage MrY as self-employed. And so long as a PSC was involved – which the XCo insisted on – XCo enjoyed the benefit of the arrangement and took none of the risk.

And, so far as MrY was concerned, he too could carry on enjoying his share of the rewards. There was only a modest risk of HMRC enquiring – and if it did only a modest risk of any consequences.

The solution to this is remarkably simple. We need to revert to plan A.

The liability needs to rest on XCo. XCo will then show an interest in whether MrY really is an employee. And if he is, XCo will operate PAYE – and MrY will gain employment rights. As the system stands it fails to incentivise anyone to be interested in whether the right tax is paid. It really is as simple as that.

We are talking very substantial sums of money.

The best recent estimates suggest a population of 200,000 personal service companies (see paras 18 and 19 here) used particularly by workers engaged in the oil and gas and IT sectors.

If you assumed (a) average weekly earnings of £800 for those 200,000 and (b) all workers were self-employed, the difference between between Class 1 NICs (paid by the employed) and Class 2 and 4 NICs (paid by the self-employed) would be in the order of £1.2bn.

HMRC have provided an estimate of the difference between all Class 1 NICs (paid by the employed) and Class 2 and 4 NICs (paid by the self-employed) of £2.56bn.

And these figures are before the cashflow advantage and the benefit of the more generous deductibility regime.

Against that the population of MrYs who would be taxed under PAYE if engaged directly by XCos would be much smaller than 200,000. It may well be that a figure of around £500m would be of the right order.

However, it should also be noted that the creation of a new £5,000 tax free band for dividends could open up further and much more substantial opportunities for avoidance which exceed this £500m in scale.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

PSC - what's that?

Only you and HMRC use it - it's a nonsense term that has been ignored by the rest of us.

Give it some legal standing, until that happens we'll continue to ignore it. Otherwise on tax forms it's a DOTAS like question that many of us refuse to answer.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Why do all these commentators, who have no real understanding of our industry, think that the answers are so simple??? Yes, in an ideal world clientco would make a fair and reasonable judgement on the employment status of a contractor but in the real world I can't imagine it will even come close to entering their minds.
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

But, its complete and utter drivel and is simply wrong in a number of respects. I have requested IPSE make a response. It can't be allowed to go unchallenged.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          But, its complete and utter drivel and is simply wrong in a number of respects. I have requested IPSE make a response. It can't be allowed to go unchallenged.
          You can make your own response by going to the website (link above) and posting a comment.

(No, me neither).

Comment

I know, but given who Mr Maugham is and his sphere of influence in Labour party policy formulation, a post by me would carry little weight.

Honestly, the man's ignorance of how a small MyCo works is shocking. No wonder we get 5hit economic policies if this is the kind of advice given to politicians

Comment

Not sure that's fair.

Maugham is usually reasonable.

A lot of the tax "advice" that is given to Corbyn and crew comes from Richard Murphy. Maugham and Murphy have clashed on a number of issues.

However, Maugham is listened to so this is your chance to influence him. Prove he is incorrect or misguided or dangerously off message or whatever. use the comment section on his website.

The whole point of a democracy is to have an opinion and share it.

I guarantee if you make no comment, nobody will hear it.

(No, me neither).

Comment

AIUI phoenixing your company won't help, since IR35 liability is personal tax?
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Graham, generally, I agree with you about Maugham, however, on this occaision he simply doesn't know what he is on about. I will reply to him if I have to but I'd prefer a post from a party who carries some weight.

Regarding the point of the claimed tax avoidance by closing an IR35 caught company, I do not know of a single case where this has happened. If it has been done, HMRC have the power to re-instate a company anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                    Graham, generally, I agree with you about Maugham, however, on this occaision he simply doesn't know what he is on about. I will reply to him if I have to but I'd prefer a post from a party who carries some weight.

Regarding the point of the claimed tax avoidance by closing an IR35 caught company, I do not know of a single case where this has happened. If it has been done, HMRC have the power to re-instate a company anyway.
                    In my experience Maugham is reasonable and if you think he knows nothing about the practical or economic impact of a structure that you have used and encounter regularly, you are the PERFECT person to correct him. A user of such companies with real experience of use/abuse carries far more weight than a tax/accounting adviser who may understand the theory and the effect of the law, but little of the practical impacts.

You may think you carry little weight but if his blog gets loaded with lots of people saying the same thing, e.g. you don't understand, then he will listen.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
                    X