• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 in PS gets reported in the media...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 in PS gets reported in the media...

According to the Guardian "agency workers" will lose up to 30% of their "salary" but it looks like this nut job of an idea might be starting to make the news in the mainstream.

Interesting in the article is the statement about the move not gaining traction across the house for private sector changes of a similar ilk..

Oh and the NHS will end up spending twice the amount on the same people...

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...ary-exodus-nhs

Thanks - good find. Interesting comment about the private sector, as you say.

Comment

Sill peddling the £400m lie I see

The government says it has introduced these changes because it estimates that 90% of these agency workers are not paying enough tax, leading to a loss of £400m a year to the Treasury.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        Makes me wonder if the initial idea was to push this across all sectors, but once they realised the opposition to that idea, they settled on the Public Sector.

Still quoting the 90% figure I see...

Comment

Love the last sentence

He also declined to comment on whether or not the government had done any assessment of the implications for public sector budgets and workforce of these changes.
          but yep it's going to be the mess we all know its going to be...
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
            Sill peddling the £400m lie I see
            The Gruaniad (among other sources) struggle with their fact-checking and analysis of technical issues. They haven't even assigned the correct assertion (20m) . However, this obviously wasn't Gov't-sourced, as it's spurious crap with a positive spin (ill-conceived policy), rather than a negative spin.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Love the last sentence
              Yes, nice to see something that isn't Gov't spun for once, even if the article is just as confused as normal.

Comment

The Gruaniad (among other sources) struggle with their fact-checking and analysis of technical issues. They haven't even assigned the correct assertion (20m) . However, this obviously wasn't Gov't-sourced, as it's spurious crap with a positive spin (ill-conceived policy), rather than a negative spin.
                True.

I remember when the Guardian used to be a paper with a number of good writers, now its just meh.
                The Iraq war reporting, for example, was very strong.

I have always read media right across the board, in any case, when I was growing up, well prior to the internet
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkT View Post
                  Makes me wonder if the initial idea was to push this across all sectors, but once they realised the opposition to that idea, they settled on the Public Sector.

Still quoting the 90% figure I see...
                  Indeed. Quite a surprising comment, and as good as attributed (i.e. probably Gauke or Ellison), not that Maugham is a massive fan of this Gov't. I suppose, ultimately, the same approach was killed in 1999, so there might be some pushback, and perhaps now isn't the time to be smegging with the private sector unnecessarily. Until I read that comment, I thought it was almost inevitably going to be extended in, say, April 2018....

Comment

Are doctors and nurses a good example, surely most of them are inside IR35 anyway?
                    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Working...
                    X