• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Same Role, classed inside for one PS and outside for another

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same Role, classed inside for one PS and outside for another

Hi all
    So not sure if anyone else has encountered this:

I am currently working as a Project Manager (for a specific rollout) for an NHS Trust and the Trust has deemed me inside of IR35.
    I recently got a call for another role, as PM (for the exact same rollout) for another NHS Trust however they have classed the role as outside IR35.
    And then a call from another PS for a PM and again classing it as outside IR35.

I find it interesting that the same role can be classed as both inside and outside depending on the PS you work for. I would have thought it would make sense to be consistent across the PS.
    Do you think its worth using this as support to question why the trust I currently work for have classed it inside when others have classed it outside? Does this give me some sort of grounds to question the decision?

Regards
    W

It certainly would. I would also look to complete HMRC's employment status tool to see where that puts you and use this:

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check...-for-tax/setup

Comment

Its pretty much up to the discretion of the PS to decide in or out. Some PS managers are less risk adverse than others.

Comment

Originally posted by Neil@Intouch View Post
        It certainly would. I would also look to complete HMRC's employment status tool to see where that puts you and use this:

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check...-for-tax/setup
        I sat down with my manager and did this.
        Based on what my manager thought the scope of my role/responsibilities etc are it came back as being inside IR35.
        I would love to know what the other NHS trust have answered or how they have assessed the role to claim it is outside...alas hopes and dreams!

Comment

Sat down with who?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

HMRC can do what they want, when they want. Unless you have big pockets, or a lot of people in the same boat, you will have to suck it up.

Comment

Maybe the other NHS Trusts are willing to accept substitution, and that's why it is outside.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Sat down with who?
                ha ha ha ha - some people just don't get it do they?

Comment

If the working practices are different between the trusts then that would explain the difference between the assessments - you may be allowed to substitute at one but not the other, one may have much more supervision, direction and control over you than the other, etc.

If the trust has assessed you as being outside then keep that written copy of the assessment and take that role.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                  X