• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Quay Accounting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quay Accounting

Any one got any Bad and Good points about this company. I'm thinking of moving accountants as mine is S*%T. Just wondered why this company is quite cheap compared to SJD accounting. Yet they seem to offer the same services.

> Just wondered why this company is quite cheap compared to SJD accounting.

Lots (most?) are - why not ask SJD?

Comment

Fiddle my dear chap,

Most are in fact more expensive than us. There are a few cheaper ones out there - the ones you get paid for recommending for example.

Why are we more expensive than Quay? I think it fair to say that we have a broader range of qualifications amongst our people, and also have a network of offices throughout the country which makes things easier for clients when they want to meet with us.

In response to the original post, Quay are a good firm - I certainly haven't heard any bad feedback.

Comment

Re:Quay Accounting

cheaper doesn't always mean nastier then?!

Comment

Re: Re:Quay Accounting

From our experience cheaper definately does not mean nastier. In fact the reverse seems to be more accurate.

The only trouble with cheap is that there is 'usually' no guarantee that it will stay cheap.

In an environment of reduced contractor rates and very low inflation and interest rates it is disappointing to see that most accountants and umbrella companies have raised their fees by very large percentages over the last three years or so.

I am confused by this as IMO the service offered does not appear to have changed. Perhaps clients of these accountants/umbrellas could explain why they are happy to pay fees that have risen by more than 60%, in some cases, over the last three years or so ?

Comment

Re: Re:Quay Accounting

They don't have to explain price rises. They rely on inertia - many people can't be bothered changing accountants.

Comment

strange attitude

You are of course right - the world is full of people who are prepared to put up with poor service at ever increasing rates.

I was exactly the same myself until just over a year back when my accountant increased rates yet again. I asked Rhino about his accountant and what they cost - the difference was staggering - they cost about half what I was paying plus they did all of the work not just some of it - my involvement would be limited to just posting off invoices and receipts - back come completed forms for signing and posting off with a cheque. I found swapping was easy in the extreme - the two accountants involved sort it all out.

My advice to anyone is to take the trouble to look at what you are getting and what you are paying for it then shop around for the deal that suits you best.

All the accountants who maintain a presence on this board and the one I recommend on ************ (run jointly by myself & Rhino) give good service. Checkout the services on offer from each, combine that with fees charged and move if yours either charges too much or gives poor service - it really is very simple to do so.

Comment

Not knowing fully what my accountant bill is going to be would it be safe to say that £55 (no VAT) is an average price for an accountant to do everything for you.

Comment

The cheapest we have found for a comprehensive contractor accountancy service is £50 + VAT = £58.75 per month, guaranteed for two years.

The vast majority charge considerably more and the average would probably be £90 + VAT = £105.75 per month with no kind of guarantee that the fees will not rise further.

Comment

Being picky

but VAT isn't part of the equation, is it...

And to put it in perspective, I'd save about £300 a year (sorry, £352.50plus VAT ) by switching from SJD - or significantly less than one day's income. Economically it might just be worth it, but I know SJD and I don't know the others, so the risk outweighs the benefit.

However, I have heard stories of people paying £125 a month and still having to do their own VAT, SA forms and PAYE and stuff - now they are the ones that need to think again.

Comment

Working...
                    X