• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tranfering shares and capital gains tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tranfering shares and capital gains tax

I setup a limited company online yesterday but the information send to Companies House is wrong.

It has me as the secretary and my partner as the director (with all the shares).

The company I used said I can change this for free after CH accepts the registration - but will I not be liable for capital gains tax on the shares transfered to me?

Jake

Co Shares

Nope....reason being the company/shares will not be worth anything as it's only just been set up.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks, thats very helpful.

So I just fill the Companies House form and send it off?

Comment

Shares

Yes, but take a copy of the forms before you send them off....also, use registered post!

We've had a few things go missing at Companise House over the last few months. :rolleyes

Comment

Re: Shares

Ignore bollox. Misread question.

Comment

What form?

So what form is it? a J30?

CH website says:
            To transfer shares in a private or unlimited company, a seller must complete and sign the appropriate section of a 'stock transfer form', available from law stationers, and pass it, together with the share certificate, to the new owner.

The new owner must then complete their section of the stock transfer form, pay any stamp duty to the Inland Revenue and pass the completed form and share certificate to the company. The company secretary will then arrange for the directors to authorise the change to the members' register and issue a share certificate in the new name.

I haven't issued any share certificates yet, does this matter?

thanks

Jake

Comment

how to do it

can anyone help please?

thanks

Comment

Stock Transfer Form

I found a copy here www.capitaregistrars.com/PDFs/stock.pdf
                Just fill it in, and fill in the back saying that category L is appropriate so there's no stamp duty.

Remember to reflect the change in your next CH annual return.

PS there should be no CGT implications unless your partner is connected in some way or charges for the shares when you transfer

Comment

Working...
                X