• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Microsoft Sharepoint

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsoft Sharepoint

The client here has seen this and thinks it is the answer to the report distribution mess (version control, disparate network, email overload etc) which exists at the moment.

Anyone out there have any advice, comment or pointers to where I can go to check this out and find out more.

I am a fairly techie-savvy Finance manager but not an IT guru.

MS website is your best bet.

I recently set up a sharepoint site for a company [ previously I had no sharepoint experiece ] - there are loads of books on the matter but I founf the "for dummies" one of the better ones.

We installed sharepoint as we had 3 development centres around the world who were working on the same projects or for the same clients, the ability to manage documents was really good, and SP provided and easy route to set up sub-site [ much like Intranet ] for various parts of the org [ ie BA's, Sales, Development, Support ] etc.
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

I'd agree with that, it's not the best config management tool, but it is certainly easy to set up and run with a minmum of fuss. Needs AD, and is almost infinitely configurable to get it to do what you want it to do.

Try this: www.microsoft.com/sharepoint/
      http://office.microsoft.com/sharepoint/
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SharePoint
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...Point_Services

HTH.
      Will ya have a cup of tea now there Fether?

Comment

Thanks guys. I have had a look at the MS website and it looks fairly straightforward.

Will all help towards the next rate increase !

Comment

what about reporting services????

Or Exchange OWA and public folders....

or even www.eproject.com
          --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SA - Is it like a dragons nostril?

Comment

Theres absolutely TONS of sharepoint work around at the minute - im still getting loads of calls and emails about sharepoint even though im in a permie role.

..... if anything, i'd say it was THE microsoft technology to be up to date with at the moment.

Comment

It IS THE technology at the moment.

I've been working on a proof of concept at MS for a month and from what I can gather SharePoint is going to be pushed as hard as possible by MS, they are basically pushing it as the back end to office and every company out there will want a SharePoint installation by next year

And I must say, there are a few downsides to the product that I know will be fixed in Office 14 but other than that it's a pretty impressive product.

Comment

Has anyone found a good developer's book for Sharepoint 2007 which is actually available to buy right now? I ordered one called 'Sharepoint 2007 Development Unleashed' by Kevin Hoffman, but the publishing date seems to be constantly shifting. As far as I can tell it's currently set for some time in June. Same thing with the Wrox book on the subject.

I'm working on a Sharepoint 2007 intranet site at the moment and I could do with a decent developer's guide. I've managed to edit the master files and the css and get it looking ok, but I'm sure there must be an 'official' method which is much simpler than my hacking was. And I'd like to know more about the general structure and workings of Sharepoint 2007 anyway.

Resources on the web seem to go directly from ultra-simplistic "look at these great features" articles to horribly complex geek stuff about customised navigation plug-ins and so on. Something between the two is what I'm after. Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                X