• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

U.S.A fly drive, independent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

U.S.A fly drive, independent

Hey,

Has anyone had any experience of self-fly drives in the U.S?

Particulary West Coast?

Any advice, or recommendations?

Cheers

Originally posted by el duder
    Do you mean you fly yourself? I didn't know you could do that!

Comment

I did a road trip two years ago, started in San Fran, finished in L.A. after a short visit to Mexico and San Diego. I wont bore you with all the details, but what specifics do you want to know?

Comment

Sooo, taking anyone with you, Duder?
        "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Newby
          I did a road trip two years ago, started in San Fran, finished in L.A. after a short visit to Mexico and San Diego. I wont bore you with all the details, but what specifics do you want to know?
          Do you have to pre-book accommodation? Or can you play it by ear?

How long did it take you?

How much did you spend?

Car hire / cost?

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp Thing
            Sooo, taking anyone with you, Duder?
            I wish!

Just a lads trip this one. I ****ed it up with the girl i was seeing and have decided this dating malarky is far to much hard work to be worryign about anymore.

Comment

I wish!

Just a lads trip this one. I ****ed it up with the girl i was seeing and have decided this dating malarky is far to much hard work to be worryign about anymore.
              Actually Duder, picking up in the US is much easier than here. They dig the accent. Good move.

Alternatively just go to Thailand and be done with it.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

I've always travelled off peak so you need a pinch of salt with this info.

With a few exceptions I've just left it to the day to find accomodation, but I always arrive early (before 16:00) just in case I have to move onto the next town. Even at the few places that I pre-booked it turned out not to be necessary. Booking ahead before you arrive is usually possible by popping into a motel in the same chain. I don't know whether internet booking has changed any of this, it wasn't available last time I went.

You should get reasonable accomodation for 50 dollars per night in most locations. Food is cheap, book the car hire before you go for the best rate, make sure that you get all insurances included. Check the docket to make sure that they haven't charged you for an upgrade and not told you. Don't get the return empty rate (unless you are a really lazy git) take the car back full.

tim

Comment

Hey,

Particulary West Coast?

Any advice, or recommendations?

Cheers
                  budget.com pay in dollars (do not use budget.co.uk or you will get a focus for the price of sports car)
                  I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

Do you have to pre-book accommodation? Or can you play it by ear?
                    I don't think they'll let you in if you don't have accommodation. It's an anti-terrorist measure.

Comment

Working...
                    X