• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wireless issues

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless issues

Wireless problem!!

at the house i run a Netgear WGR614 Wireless 54Mbps DSL Firewall Router 802.11g. I am trying to connect to it using a Netgear WG111 Wireless USB Adapter... but i keep getting the annoying yellow triangle!
    Limited or no connectivity, yet the signal strength is excellent.

I have ipconfiged this and the router is fine but the wireless connection Ip is showing as 0.0.0.0 - how do i change it??!!?!
    Thanks!

1: Check the local firewall on the PC that won't connect.
    2: Make sure DHCP is turned on.
    3: Make sure you have the correct security settings - |ID, WEP, Passphrase etc.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
      1: Check the local firewall on the PC that won't connect.
      2: Make sure DHCP is turned on.
      3: Make sure you have the correct security settings - |ID, WEP, Passphrase etc.
      Agreed. These are the first steps I'd take. Also check if the router is not confirgured only to accept connections by MAC authentication (i.e. the MAC address of the USB wireless thingy)

Comment

Can you connect to the router by cable? Go to the admin page and see what you get...

Comment

ah ok ... and if it is trying to source the mac thingy from the usb?

Comment

Originally posted by NewbieContractor
            ah ok ... and if it is trying to source the mac thingy from the usb?
            That could be it. If your router is set to only accept connections via MAC authentication (regardless of whether you're connection is WEP/WPS-PSK encrypted) this extra layer of security may be the source of the problem.

Setting the router to [MAC authenticate / not authenticate] is normally found in the administration page viewed via a web page logon to the router.

PS Don't choose WEP encryption if your router has WPA-PSK encryption - WEP is crackable - do a Google search for 'Aircrack'.

HTH

Comment

check the driver. I've got a belkin wireless pci card and the only way I could get it to work was using a generic driver from the chipset manufacturer. None of the Belkin drivers worked

Comment

Working...
              X