• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boss stuck on a train for four hours

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The permie I report to at clientco had to visit a branch office today, and decided to take the train, although his car was in the office carpark.

Shortly after he left, one of the guys in the office checked on nationalrail.co.uk and it turned out his train has been delayed for some reason and won't reach his destination, some 50 miles away, for four hours.

He phoned the guy, who was on the train, stopped in the middle of nowhere in a carriage full of boisterous schoolkids, to tell him the good news.

I could hear the kids yelling and screaming over the phone, and the guy who had phoned then said "Sorry Ken, I can't stand that racket I'll have to go now"

Originally posted by Marina View Post
    snip...
    the guy who had phoned then said "Sorry Ken, I can't stand that racket I'll have to go now"
    Class, he deserves a virtual beer for that!
    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

There's a serious side to this though. Apparently the delay was caused by rail workers having to scrape the remains of a suicide from the tracks, and there's been a big rise in the suicide rate in the last month or two, no fewer than 20 in Romford alone.

Yes - living there , who wouldn't and all that - but I guess in the saying "live now, pay later", for many later has become now ...

Comment

Maybe they've been watching EternalOptmist's attempt at being sucked off on the platform.

I know a girl whose boyfriend topped himself by putting his head on a rail track as a train approched. He even called her saying he could hear it coming. Needless to say she was a bit traumatised for a while afterwards.

I'll bet there are lots of interesting studies into the forms of suicide people choose. For me (a coward) it would be sleeping pills, alcohol, and maybe coke. Don't like pepsi, too sweet. Probably do it in the bath so at least my corpse will be clean. I wonder where I got that idea from.
        Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
        Feist - I Feel It All
        Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

That's what 1st class is for

God bless contracting
          It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by Marina View Post
            Permie alert!
            "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
              Maybe they've been watching EternalOptmist's attempt at being sucked off on the platform.

I know a girl whose boyfriend topped himself by putting his head on a rail track as a train approched. He even called her saying he could hear it coming. Needless to say she was a bit traumatised for a while afterwards.

I'll bet there are lots of interesting studies into the forms of suicide people choose. For me (a coward) it would be sleeping pills, alcohol, and maybe coke. Don't like pepsi, too sweet. Probably do it in the bath so at least my corpse will be clean. I wonder where I got that idea from.
              My sucide was all planned out about 30 years ago. I am going to kill myself through sexual exhaustion. Its a slow process, but what a way to go.

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

EO I do like your posts, in a matey and non-homosexual kind of way.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
                  EO I do like your posts, in a matey and non-homosexual kind of way.
                  why, i like you too

ps there is a gay who posts on here, give us a kiss and I'll tell you who he is

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    According to Horizon, argon is the way to go... quick , out on a high... and no mess.

Do they provide details of how to obtain and administer it, or are they giving some away in a competition?
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                    X