• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Project manager

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project manager

So, had the misfortune of butting heads with a PM today.

Get a call from a PM about a component of a project which has got slightly hung up. The team who are meant to be rectifying the issue still haven't done it.

I work in Service Delivery so, as I am her escalation point for service matters (not project related) she raises it with me and proceeds to push her project time constraints (needs to be sorted within an hour or the project will fail) onto me by way of this outstanding piece of work.

When I bring to her attention that it's not appropriate for her to leave such escalations to the last minute and that she should involve me sooner in project elements that may need me to escalate with the relevant teams, I get the classic quotes:

"This has just been brought to my attention - I can't be expected to know all the elements of the project".

"This is a problem and I'm trying to sort it".

Hmm, isn't this part of of a PM's remit?
    Granted, she may not need to know the intricacies of every element, but surely (potential) delays should be on her radar so she can mitigate for them.

The fact that I bailed her out of a similar situation a month ago is neither here nor there.

Fkin numpty.

Last month:

me: Aren't you the project manager for XYZ?
    him: Yes
    me: When's the data migration due to start?
    him: I don't know. I'm not involved in the data migration workstream. Just the management workstream.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
      Last month:

me: Aren't you the project manager for XYZ?
      him: Yes
      me: When's the data migration due to start?
      him: I don't know. I'm not involved in the data migration workstream. Just the management workstream.
      It's a great quote
      ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

The big dfifference between PM and SDM (speaking as someone who does both) is that the SDM is the one who can get you out of the hole. A PM that hasn't done the risk analysis and who hasn't established the key milestones is not a PM, they're a waste of space; what else are they there for?
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
          The big dfifference between PM and SDM (speaking as someone who does both) is that the SDM is the one who can get you out of the hole. A PM that hasn't done the risk analysis and who hasn't established the key milestones is not a PM, they're a waste of space; what else are they there for?
          I don't claim to know the intricacies of a PM's role, but this was exactly what occured to me and not from a spiteful angle either.

Comment

I liked the project where one of the PM's "Big Wins" in the weekly report was that the time and location of the morning team meeting had been "successfully" changed.

The fact that the new time was before many people actually got into the office wasn't mentioned

Comment

Working...
            X