• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What was the purpose of stonehenge?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What was the purpose of stonehenge?

An observatory? A shrine? Now they think Stonehenge was an A&E centre

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4805844.ece

Lets face it - they are just guessing. Ahhhh - I know - it was an early LHC!

I propose that funding for these sorts of projects is immediately stopped - the money could instead be given to investment bankers who could p**s it away.

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    An observatory? A shrine? Now they think Stonehenge was an A&E centre

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle4805844.ece

Lets face it - they are just guessing. Ahhhh - I know - it was an early LHC!

I propose that funding for these sorts of projects is immediately stopped - the money could instead be given to investment bankers who could p**s it away.
    According to the BBC it might have been an ancient mosque, so could do with a modern revamp.

Comment

I think it was God* having a bit of a laugh.

*Replace with fictional character of your choice.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

It was an early forum for stoneworker contractors to swap tax dodging ideas and complain about immigrants coming over here from Europe and working our stone.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          I think it was God* having a bit of a laugh.
          A few pre-history boys out on a stag night getting carried away. Ancient equivalent to putting road cones on the head of a big statue.
          Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Let us examine the cold hard facts.

1. Stonehenge is made up of, um, big stones.
            2. It's round(ish).
            3. Druids used to gather there.
            4. The rays of the Sun do funny things on a certain day.

Conclusion ?

Ancient Man's first outdoor rave destination, where the Druids would munch mistletoe and dance like blissed-out madmen to the rays of the Sun.
            Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

I think it was a buy-to-let scheme that went wrong. They wanted to build a huge stone building to let out to pagan worshippers and then there was the stone credit crunch and they ran out of stones.

Comment

Originally posted by KentPhilip View Post
                I think it was a buy-to-let scheme that went wrong. They wanted to build a huge stone building to let out to pagan worshippers and then there was the stone credit crunch and they ran out of stones.
                Probably the same guys who'd just finished the pyramid scheme.

Comment

I think it was just a stunt created by people long ago so that people today would think 'what the fuc is that all about?' along with the Pyramids and Swindon.
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

It's the original version of Jenga.

Comment

Working...
                    X