• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2 agents, 1 role, £150 difference.. what to do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 agents, 1 role, £150 difference.. what to do?

I've been put forward for a role today by Agent A, I was told a band of what they were willing to offer so I went in at the bottom, as the money is still quite nice.

I've now seen the role advertised by Agent B for £150 more than what Agent A has put me in at.

If I put my CV in with Agent B for more money, what are the consequences here. Am I free to choose which agent I go with upon call-up for an interview or have I smoked my chances of the higher rate here?
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Maybe the higher rate is just advertising and they have no intention of paying it?

Assuming both rates are genuine IMO you should stick with Agent A. Having CV submitted twice might blow the gig for you. Also you were happy with the rate when Agent A advertised it so you should stick with it.

Comment

Hmmm, wasn't this exact same question asked a couple of weeks ago?
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        Hmmm, wasn't this exact same question asked a couple of weeks ago?
        I thought in the question 2 weeks ago the person had been submitted by 2 agencies and was about to be called in for interview?

Comment

What I would do when submitting a low rate to try and secure a role is get an email from the agent confirming their margin. You might find they have put you forward at full whack anyway. If the agent is playing it straight they have no reason not to confirm their margin.

Comment

This happened to me and I posted on here about it.
            However with me it was the first agent who offered the higher rate and I had already asked them to put me forward.
            It really is a tough one, have you mentioned to agent A that you've been approached about the same job but at a higher rate?

I am not qualified to offer any advice, but I wish you luck.

BTW I got the job - at the higher rate
            I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
            CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

If agent A has put you forward, stick with them.

Given the current market - get the role first, worry about getting the right rate afterwards.
              The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Recruiting for a contractor last month, I approached 4 rostered agencies with the job spec, and they were asked to provide 3 CVs each.

All 4 agencies submitted the same bloke, who (curiously) had slightly modified his name on each CV (using his middle names alternately as his first). Straight in the bin, and annoying as he stopped 3 potentially good candidates from being submitted.

Didn't even bother trying to make the rest of the CV look any different. What a plank.

Comment

Originally posted by Pickle2 View Post
                  If agent A has put you forward, stick with them.

Given the current market - get the role first, worry about getting the right rate afterwards.
                  Agreed.

How many times have agents quoted rates, then after the client has "seen" your CV, they apparently only want to pay you the lower end??

Bird in the hand and all that mate.

Comment

Keep your mouth shut and get an interview first. Then get the end rate while you are at the interview. If you think you have a problem with your rate use your project management skills to sort your own rate out with the agency...

The hard part at the moment is to figure out if you have actually been put forward as opposed to appeased then dropped in the bin to stop you applying through an opposing agency.

I always take the position that I apply through agency 1 then if an agency 2 turns up I ask them to check if the end client has seen my CV and if they come back with a no, I go from there... I have seen a couple of interviews this way in the past...

It would seem that there is a CV mopping up race going on this morning. Between Sand,Monarch and now Bendock & clark the race started at upto £500 and is now at £700 with B&C...

Comment

Working...
                    X