• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sorry for the delay, the Doom is arriving on 2030

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for the delay, the Doom is arriving on 2030

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7951838.stm

Growing world population will cause a "perfect storm" of food, energy and water shortages by 2030, the UK government chief scientist is warning.

By 2030 the demand for resources will create a crisis with dire consequences, Prof John Beddington predicts.

Demand for food and energy will jump 50% by 2030 and for fresh water by 30%, as the population tops 8.3 billion, he is due to tell a conference in London.

Climate change will exacerbate matters in unpredictable ways, he will add.

At half-eight!

World population is something we should all be concerned about. Not least the UK whose population is growing at its fastest rate in history. Climate change is just one symptom of over population.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      World population is something we should all be concerned about. Not least the UK whose population is growing at its fastest rate in history. Climate change is just one symptom of over population.
      Fear not. Either mother nature will do her thing and cull humans down to a more sustainable level, or WW3 will kick off.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Doesn't seem very scientific does it for the chief scientist ?
        Perhaps we need a "global crisis charge" to avert this impending doomage?
        Bored.

Comment

so....

Buy oil stocks and you're boomed.

sorted
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Is he eight years too soon?
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

This time it is going to be different.

Upon reflection - I quite like the idea of another Apocalypse down the road- life seems - worthwhile !

And it vindicates my rebuttal of Pension Schemes.

Thx DP

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
                This time it is going to be different.

Upon reflection - I quite like the idea of another Apocalypse down the road- life seems - worthwhile !

And it vindicates my rebuttal of Pension Schemes.
                Wine women and song! Poverty and hardship may loom, but they can't take your memories from you.[1]

[1] But no doubt they are working on that in Room 101
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

As if life hadnt been stressful enough recently with my loss (and subsequent finding ) of my bike key on Monday - today having cycled to work and parked my bike in the bikeshed- to my utter horror- I realised that somehow or other - one oy my gloves was missing !!!

I bought them back in Nivermber in a sale for 5 euros - Im hoping than perhaps I shall spot the glove on the way back from work .

Fingers crossed .
                  Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 19 March 2009, 12:27.

Comment

Just to let you know - whilst cycling to work this morning - to my amazement I spotted my lost blue glove !

That which was lost has been found.

Celebrate.

Comment

Working...
                    X