• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Powerless

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powerless

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_...st/8223305.stm

Surely it would be cheaper to give the bloke a couple of wind turbines and a few batteries?
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Surely it would be cheaper to ...
    ... raise the standard of insulation in the house to the highest possible and add a passive roof-mounted water heating system.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

If it was me, I'd pickup a diesel generator for a few hundred quid:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/3-3KVA-DIESEL-...d=p3286.c0.m14

A shed full of lorry batteries and a DC to AC inverter.

Invest some money in triple glazing, cavity wall, loft insulation.

Some solar panels for the water heating and a ground heat pump and put in underfloor heating.

And tell the electricity company to **** off.

Comment

What happened to that idea a few years back that would soon all have our own little underground nuclear power plants?
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          What happened to that idea a few years back that would soon all have our own little underground nuclear power plants?
          Somebody's working on "community nuclear". IIRC they cost about $25M for a small town at the mo.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I think someone in the US was working on a bath sized nuclear reactor.

here we go:
            http://www.newlaunches.com/archives/...0000_homes.php

Comment

Eat beans for lunch and generate your own Wind Power......

Comment

Diesel generator. Although he's no excuse for feeling cold, you can run central heating from an oil tank or bottled gas easily (maybe with a tiny source of power to light the fuel etc).
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                X