• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A very bright idea

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A very bright idea

I have 3 kids. They are noisy. Sometimes I want them to be quiet. Take today for example we are having a family gathering (Aunties/Uncles/Grandparents) etc etc. They are great kids, but would be even greater if they had a nice shiny portable DVD player to huddle round.

I'm not for one minute meaning this as a parenting substitute, but something I can wheel out while the adults are having coffees after lunch, say.

For real VFM I wanted something that could be used in the car on long journeys, and can then be taken out of the car and used portably while at said relo's house.

A budget of £100. Anyone got any ideas? I have plundered most sites but it seems they are either for the car or not. No hybrids.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

I used to play 'silence' with my kids.

I bet you cant sit still for an hour without making any noise at all. Oh you reckon you can eh? ok well if you do it, you win a pound.

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

As a non-breeder, I can't really offer any advice.

I can poke fun and go, ha ha ha however, if that helps ?

All I remember when I was growing up and taken to my Aunties, is that they used to pop me in the spare bedroom with lots of colouring books, crayons, cardboard, an Intellivision, plenty of pop and sweets and leave me to it.

Suited me fine, thank you very much.

I remember one time, one of the other aunts brought her nephews (same age as me) over as well, and chucked us in the garden to play.

I mean, a fecking garden. With leaves, twigs and other muck.

I was most indignant.

So I introduced George to a new game called hide and seek.

I told him to hide somewhere in the 100' long garden, with its various toolsheds, and I counted to 20, with my hands over my eyes (but peeking of course).

He went to toolshed number 2. The one with the bolt on the outside.

Silly, silly George.

After incarcerating him, I trundled back to the house, slipped in via a side door, and resumed play on the Intellivision for the next few hours.

When they did find him, he was in a bit of a state (he was 10). Looking back, it was quite horrid I know, but little boys can be horrid.

My punishment ?

"That's the last time George is coming over to play with you. You'll have to play on your own now."

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post
        As a non-breeder, I can't really offer any advice.

I can poke fun and go, ha ha ha however, if that helps ?

All I remember when I was growing up and taken to my Aunties, is that they used to pop me in the spare bedroom with lots of colouring books, crayons, cardboard, an Intellivision, plenty of pop and sweets and leave me to it.

I remember one time, one of the other aunts brought her nephews (same age as me) over as well, and chucked us in the garden to play.

I mean, a fliping garden. With leaves, twigs and other muck.

I was most indignant.

So I introduced George to a new game called hide and seek.

I told him to hide somewhere in the 100' long garden, with its various toolsheds, and I counted to 20, with my hands over my eyes (but peeking of course).

He went to toolshed number 2. The one with the bolt on the outside.

Silly, silly George.

After incarcerating him, I trundled back to the house, slipped in via a side door, and resumed play on the Intellivision for the next few hours.

When they did find him, he was in a bit of a state (he was 10). Looking back, it was quite horrid I know, but little boys can be horrid.

My punishment ?

"That's the last time George is coming over to play with you. You'll have to play on your own now."

I have to know if my "gadar" is working correctly as it never has. The number of times I have presumed someone was and they weren't

So, are you?

Comment

We have a 2-screen dvd player. Each kid can watch their own dvd whilst travelling. They work out of the car as well but not a feature we have used. Amazon, about £150 for reasonable quality.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
            We have a 2-screen dvd player. Each kid can watch their own dvd whilst travelling. They work out of the car as well but not a feature we have used. Amazon, about £150 for reasonable quality.
            Fantastic.

Can I have a little more info? How about brand, can we start with brand? Yes, let's start with brand. Oracleslave "WHAT BRAND IS IT PLEASE?"

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              Fantastic.

Can I have a little more info? How about brand, can we start with brand? Yes, let's start with brand. Oracleslave "WHAT BRAND IS IT PLEASE?"
              Sorry, can't be arsed to go out to the car and look

Comment

http://www.goodmans.co.uk/productdet...language=en-GB

In car adapter and mains adapter as well. Not sure if it can be hacked to multi-region, though (haven't tried).
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  http://www.goodmans.co.uk/productdet...language=en-GB

In car adapter and mains adapter as well. Not sure if it can be hacked to multi-region, though (haven't tried).
                  Thanks Mr FaQQer sir.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                    I have to know if my "gadar" is working correctly as it never has. The number of times I have presumed someone was and they weren't

So, are you?

I have met BGG and I am afraid to have to tell you that the world is more complex than you have yet come to realise.

Comment

Working...
                    X