• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£200K. Is Teaching the New Plumbing?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£200K. Is Teaching the New Plumbing?

Union 'outraged' at head teacher £200,000 pay package

Mr Elms runs a school of 400 pupils The £200,000 pay package of a primary school head teacher in south London has sparked outrage from trade unions.
    Mark Elms, of Tidemill Primary School, Lewisham, received the money in basic salary, back-dated payments and bonuses for a special project.
    The GMB union called the payment "outrageous", while the Nasuwt union said too many heads had inflated pay.
    Education Secretary Michael Gove wants heads' pay to be capped at the PM's salary of £142,500.
    But some parents speaking outside the school said he "deserved every penny".
    The top of the pay scale for head teachers working in large London state schools is £109,000, but governors are allowed to offer more to get the right candidate.

Parent outside Tidemill Primary School: "I think he deserves it"

According to the GMB union, a total of 11 head teachers in London earn more than £150,000.
    Mr Elms, who runs a school of 400 pupils, was paid a basic salary of £82,714 last year.
    But he also received in the same year more than £100,000 - £51,957 of which was back-dated pay for 2008/09 - for work on the City Challenge programme introduced by Labour to tackle underachievement in disadvantaged areas.
    He was also paid £10,000 in overtime for 2009-10, and a further £9,317 for overtime in 2008/09.
    An Ofsted report described the head teacher's leadership as "outstanding".
    Pay package
    • Basic pay - £82,714.37
    • City Challenge - £102,955.00 over two years
    • Out-of-hours work - £9,317
    • Arrears - £9,317
    Should education be salary capped?
    Ted Purcell, GMB public services officer, said: "It is outrageous that a head teacher in a local community school should earn more money than the prime minister.
    "There is a complete lack of accountability when schools are opted out of local authority control.
    "GMB want to see all schools being excellent local schools accountable to parents, the community and locally elected politicians."
    The GMB represents support staff in schools which have much lower salary levels.
    GMB want to see all schools being excellent local schools
    Ted Purcell GMB public services officer
    Chris Keates, Nasuwt general secretary, said it had been raising concerns for years about the lack of regulation and scrutiny of the pay of headteachers.
    She said: "Whilst the majority have reasonable salaries and do not attempt to exploit the system, too many have secured inflated pay increases and benefits rubber stamped by governing bodies, double payments for doing other work outside their schools and 'bonuses' or 'overtime' which are not permitted under the national pay framework."
    Lewisham Council said it had investigated the high pay levels set by the governing body of the school, and had issued them with "formal, confidential advice, which they are now considering".
    Mick Brookes, general secretary of the National Association of Head Teachers, said it was irresponsible to conflate the head teacher's yearly salary with the extra payments he received for working on the special project.
    Upper limit He added: "He's made a huge difference to his schools and his community so I would say, 'good luck to him'."
    It is thought that about 100 head teachers in England earn more than £150,000, with a handful earning as much as £180,000.
    However, with pay being set by school governing bodies, there are no records kept on how many heads earn above the top of their pay scale.
    Last week, in a letter to Anne Wright, chairman of the School Teachers' Review Body (STRB), Mr Gove said teachers pay should increase this year by 2.3% in line with previous recommendations.
    But he added that he wanted to add an "upper limit to leadership group remuneration" cappying discretionary pay at the level of the prime minister's basic salary.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

The Daily Mash - £270K HEADTEACHER RUBBING HIS DOCTOR'S NOSE IN IT
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Also from the Mash

Made me chuckle.

Comment

Mark Elms, of Tidemill Primary School, Lewisham, received the money in basic salary, back-dated payments and bonuses for a special project.
        If he is working in Lewisham, then anything from "Cutlery Introduction" to "Hind legs, we can balance on them" could be considered a "Special Project".

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

£200k would barely cover my efforts to educate CUK folk on subject of economics, business, computing and many others.

£2 mln would be much more appropriate amount, tax free also.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            £200k would barely cover my efforts to educate CUK folk on subject of economics, business, computing and many others.

£2 mln would be much more appropriate amount, tax free also.
            Your soviet teachers got a loaf of bread every month and 1 pound of butter every week.

No feckin wonder you are so stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
              If he is working in Lewisham, then anything from "Cutlery Introduction" to "Hind legs, we can balance on them" could be considered a "Special Project".

My first school was around there, and one of my friends used to sh*t himself in class for the craic.

That head probably deserves every penny.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                My first school was around there, and one of my friends used to sh*t himself in class for the craic.

That head probably deserves every penny.
                Sounds like your mate used to enjoy spending it.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  Your soviet teachers got a loaf of bread every month and 1 pound of butter every week. No feckin wonder you are so stupid.
                  I remember the last years of Soviet Union - 1989-1990: they had special vouchers/stamps to get 1 kg of meat per month, 10 eggs per month, 1 kg of butter, 1 bottle of vodka - the queues were about as big as you now get in British Post Office

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    I remember the last years of Soviet Union - 1989-1990: they had special vouchers/stamps to get 1 kg of meat per month, 10 eggs per month, 1 kg of butter, 1 bottle of vodka - the queues were about as big as you now get in British Post Office
                    So remind us then, your family were allowed over here out of sympathy, or to remind us how lucky we are?

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X