• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

US Road Trip - advice needed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US Road Trip - advice needed

Thinking about taking a few weeks off after Christmas & doing a bit of travelling around the States. Ideally I'd like to be abe to hire a camper van & maybe go coast to coast or do a tour of the southern states. I've looked into this online & what's on offer seems very restrictive in that most of them offer a fixed itinerary & I want to be free to go where I want.
    Maybe it's better to sort out the van hire on arrival though I'd rather have things sorted from this end. Anyone ever done anything like this before? Any advice would be most welcome.

EO is the expert, but I wonder whether buying a banger would work out cheaper? Or a banger van in this instance.

Comment

Real men don't need a camper vans - they hitch hike and camp out under the stars (bridges if wet)

True story
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
        Real men don't need a camper vans - they hitch hike and camp out under the stars (bridges if wet)

True story
        A bed of pine needles and a ceiling of stars.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          EO is the expert, but I wonder whether buying a banger would work out cheaper? Or a banger van in this instance.
          aye. the vehicle is cost number 2.
          cost number 1 is accommodation.

It would seem on the surface that a camper van hits both buttons. But we costed it and I was not persuaded.

Hiring gives you better insurance and other support options.

To be perfectly honest, my missus enjoys all this palaver than she does the actual holiday. she enjoys the planning so much that she is feaking out about what we will do in 2020 in morrocco.

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Real men don't need a camper vans
            I'm taking the missus

Comment

He's right - EO has done a few of these trips and has loads of hints and tips.

Also have a look on Trip Advisor, some good info on there. We got a book about it as we're planning it next year too - this one... USA on the Road Insight Guide - Insight Guides (Book) by Insight Guides (2010): Waterstones.com Actually cheaper on Amazon.
              Bazza gets caught
              Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

A bed of pine needles and a ceiling of stars.
                It's the pesky mosquitoes that will do for you

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
                  I'm taking the missus
                  aka baggage ??

Comment

It's the pesky mosquitoes that will do for you
                    Sleeping bag with a mosquito net in the hood. Or a tent. Not been to mossy country myself though, or at least not when camping.

Comment

Working...
                    X